suound HW vanished on MS-865GM2

Uriel

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2002

Has anyone experienced the following phenomena? Can anyone advise?
I have an ms-865gm2 that worked fine with all the installed peripherals
until I turned it up today ... and there was no sound...
I verified the following:
Bios is version 5.4
All other IO devices work perfectly
CPU is not OCed
HW checks fine (but no Audio HW is detected at all)
Audio option is set to Auto in BIOS.
Both Windows 2000 and SUSE 9.2 Linux do not see the audio hardware
Audio drivers from either CMI or MSI do not install as the install
program can not detect the AC97 hardware or the CMI chip

If anyone has any idea what could cause that...
Thanks
Uri

Uriel wrote:
> Has anyone experienced the following phenomena? Can anyone advise?
> I have an ms-865gm2 that worked fine with all the installed peripherals
> until I turned it up today ... and there was no sound...
> I verified the following:
> Bios is version 5.4
> All other IO devices work perfectly
> CPU is not OCed
> HW checks fine (but no Audio HW is detected at all)
> Audio option is set to Auto in BIOS.
> Both Windows 2000 and SUSE 9.2 Linux do not see the audio hardware
> Audio drivers from either CMI or MSI do not install as the install
> program can not detect the AC97 hardware or the CMI chip
>
> If anyone has any idea what could cause that...
> Thanks
> Uri

Check to see if it sharing an IRQ with another device?

Uriel

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2002

I have new information: The BIOS stopped recognizing sound hardware after I
set the FSB to 12% or more above stock FSB. I tested that with both a 2.2G
Celery (400) and with a 2.4G P4 (533). In both cases, exceeding a 112% FSB
clock caused the BIOS not to see the sound HW... Only removal of battery
reset the problem in any of those cases.... not good!
Uri