Only getting USB1.1 speeds on external USB2.0 drive - help..

Ian

I have a pc based on an MSI K7N2 motherboard bought approximately a year
ago. It has the latest BIOS and I am running Win XP Pro with SP1. I
have just tried to add an external Maxtor 200 Gb IDE drive and bought an
external USB 2.0 drive case which appears to have a Genesys Logic
controller.

Although everything appears fine under XP and the device is detected and
there are no error messages or problems showing in Device Manager the
drive appears to be transferring at USB 1.1 speeds rather than 2.0.
Using a test program my main HD (a Maxtor 120Gb) shows around 50 Mb/s
whereas the external 200 Gb Maxtor supposedly running USB2.0 gives only
11 or 12 Mb/sec and is painfully slow in actual use.

OK, so here is some of the background info:

The manual for the motherboard says that it has a USB 2.0 EHCI/1.1 OHCI
controller.

My BIOS is set as follows:

Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard Device -> OnChip USB -> V1.1+V2.0

This is the information shown by Device Manager on the USB components:

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller <<<<<
version 5.1.2600.0

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
version 5.1.2600.0

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
version 5.1.2600.0

USB Mass Storage Device
version 5.1.2600.0

USB Root Hub
version 5.1.2600.0
devices: cable modem, wheel mouse, 1 port available

USB Root Hub
version 5.1.2600.0
devices: game controller, 2 ports available

USB Root Hub
version 5.1.2600.0
devices: USB Mass Storage Device, 5 ports available

Each of the Root Hubs shows:

Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers

Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

Location: Location 0

This is the info provided by SiSoft Sandra:

General Information
Controller : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Root Hub
Compound Device : No
Hub Is Bus Powered : No
Power Switching : Gang-switched
Over-current Protection : Global
Number of Ports : 6

Root Hub: USB Port 1
Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
OEM Device Name : Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
Device Version : 0.02
Device ID : VEN_05E3, DEV_0702, PRT_00
USB Version : 2.00
Speed : High (480Mbps)
Configuration Settings : 1
Open Pipes : 2
Transfer Type : Bulk
Data Packet Size : 64 bytes

Root Hub: USB Port 2

Root Hub: USB Port 3

Root Hub: USB Port 4

Root Hub: USB Port 5

Root Hub: USB Port 6

When I first connected the external drive I did get a message to the
effect that I had a high speed device on a non-hi-speed controller or
words to that effect. I then manually updated all the drivers and
haven't had that message since.

Tech support at the shop I bought it from have been next to useless and
I've also posted a message on the MSI motherboard forums but had no
meaningful replies.

Is there anyone who might be able to help me sort out this problem as
I've been trying to solve it for days and have run out of ideas
completely now.

Sandi

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Ian,
I setup a this kind of board recently and on the driver disk it wanted me to
go to microsoft to download something for usb20and winxp. I didnt since I
have no usb20 devices. I think there is a separate hoop you have to jump
though.

guppy23
"Ian" <ian@nospampls.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> Open Pipes : 2
> Transfer Type : Bulk
> Data Packet Size : 64 bytes
>
> Root Hub: USB Port 2
>
> Root Hub: USB Port 3
>
> Root Hub: USB Port 4
>
> Root Hub: USB Port 5
>
> Root Hub: USB Port 6
>

> When I first connected the external drive I did get a message to the
> effect that I had a high speed device on a non-hi-speed controller or
> words to that effect. I then manually updated all the drivers and
> haven't had that message since.
>

> Tech support at the shop I bought it from have been next to useless and
> I've also posted a message on the MSI motherboard forums but had no
> meaningful replies.
>

> Is there anyone who might be able to help me sort out this problem as
> I've been trying to solve it for days and have run out of ideas

TRENDING THREADS