Recover Lost file Clusters?

Hi, disk checker ran on my external drive after a reboot without me knowing
it and now i have a zillion .chk files inside a folder called FOUND.000
instead of all my original folders and files. Is there any way to recover
my original files?

WinXP pro / FAT32 on the drive / system restore was turned off (not that it
would make much difference)

TIA,
matt
4 answers Last reply
More about recover lost file clusters

    See NTFS is a better file system.

    Each cluster was saved as a stand-alone file. Recovery can
    be done, to some extent, but it will take time and money,
    lots of money.

    "Matthew Paul" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Hi, disk checker ran on my external drive after a reboot
    without me knowing
    | it and now i have a zillion .chk files inside a folder
    called FOUND.000
    | instead of all my original folders and files. Is there
    any way to recover
    | my original files?
    |
    | WinXP pro / FAT32 on the drive / system restore was turned
    off (not that it
    | would make much difference)
    |
    | TIA,
    | matt

    :o(
    No self-help tools?

    > See NTFS is a better file system.
    >
    > Each cluster was saved as a stand-alone file. Recovery can
    > be done, to some extent, but it will take time and money,
    > lots of money.

    <snip>

    You have to open each cluster, at a machine code level and
    determine, a million times, which cluster should be opened
    with what program, in what order. There may be some
    programs to automate such a task, but a 40 GB drive could
    take weeks or months to recover.

    Only you know how valuable the lost data is. Contact the
    drive maker and also, www.drivesavers.com for advice and
    cost estimates. Try Google for "lost clusters+recover" and
    you will get a number of articles and links (141,000) that
    may help you.

    | :o(
    | No self-help tools?

    in message
    | > See NTFS is a better file system.
    | >
    | > Each cluster was saved as a stand-alone file. Recovery
    can
    | > be done, to some extent, but it will take time and
    money,
    | > lots of money.
    |
    | <snip>

    Hi Matthew,

    Have you tried teh tool as Byte has suggested? Please go to the following
    link to try it:

    Recover CHK Files
    http://www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

    Note: The third-party product discussed is manufactured by a vendor
    independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
    regarding this product's performance or reliability.

    You can also examine the contents of these files (found.000) with a text
    editor to see whether they contain any needed data (if the converted chains
    came from corrupted binary files, they are of no value). You can delete the
    CHK files after you have saved any useful data.

    IMPORTANT: Please do not run defragmenter since defragmenter will decrease
    the opportunity to recovery the data.

    Actually, Chkdsk scans and repairs volumes on the hard disk for physical
    problems, such as bad blocks, and logical structure errors, such as lost
    clusters, cross-linked files, or directory errors.

    In addition, please know Microsoft does not provided data recovery service
    and cannot guarantee the lost data will be retrieved.

    Some repairs, such as correcting lost clusters (also knows as allocation
    units) or cross-linked files, change a volume's file allocation table and
    can cause data loss, Chkdsk first prompts you with a confirmation message
    similar to the following:

    10 lost allocation units found in 3 chains.

    Convert lost chains to files?

    If you press N, Windows 2000 fixes the errors on the volume but does not
    save the contents of the lost clusters.

    This is addressed in the following link with the snippet "Correcting
    Problems by Using Chkdsk"
    Troubleshooting Tools and Strategies
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
    en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en
    -us/prork/pref_tts_ffgh.asp

    Recovering Lost Clusters on FAT Volumes
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
    /Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_t
    ro_kbnn.asp

    Please use a Hex edit tool to open these CHK files to find something useful
    and post back if you have any update.

    Good luck!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen