Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice Please: Portable MAME Device

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:28:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I've been looking around to no avail, and was hoping that I can get
input on what kind of PC I can use to play several older MAME
games.(ie: Pac-man, Donkey Kong, ect.).

Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
for no less than 8 hours on a charge.

Does anything like this exist?

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:34:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> I've been looking around to no avail, and was hoping that I can get
> input on what kind of PC I can use to play several older MAME
> games.(ie: Pac-man, Donkey Kong, ect.).
>
> Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
> battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
> for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
>
> Does anything like this exist?
>
> Recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
>

Here are some solutions:

GP32 - http://tinyurl.com/5dr5p
- $60-$320US (eBay)
- 5+h on 2xAA

N-Gage - http://tinyurl.com/4w7o8
- $64-$320 (eBay)
- 3-6h

And a cheaper solution, but no MAME:
GBA - http://tinyurl.com/5hfhl
- $26-$120 (eBay)
- 10-15h on 2xAA

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

> Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
> battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
> for no less than 8 hours on a charge.

Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove the
CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can get pretty
close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em (charging one
while the other's in play), or have more than 2 charged and ready, you
can go pretty much forever. -JW
Related resources
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:09:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> > Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of
the
> > battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can
play
> > for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
>
> Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove
the
> CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can get
pretty
> close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em (charging
one
> while the other's in play), or have more than 2 charged and ready,
you
> can go pretty much forever. -JW

Thanks.

Thats's interesting.

You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

I guess only a hard drive and ram on the mobo are the only things I
really need.

I just have to figure out how long the total life of these batteries
are, since their maximum charge will decrease over time. I also have to
determine whether or not these batteries are standardized enough not to
worry about finding replacements when needed.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:31:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
>> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>>
>>> Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of
>>> the battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I
>>> can play for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
>>
>> Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove
>> the CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can
>> get pretty close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em
>> (charging one while the other's in play), or have more than 2
>> charged and ready, you can go pretty much forever. -JW
>
> Thanks.
>
> Thats's interesting.
>
> You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
> numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

Inspiron 2500 has 2 bays, ours has a battery in one and a floppy in the
other, according to the manual a 2nd batt can be swapped for the floppy.

> I guess only a hard drive and ram on the mobo are the only things I
> really need.
>
> I just have to figure out how long the total life of these batteries
> are, since their maximum charge will decrease over time. I also have
> to determine whether or not these batteries are standardized enough
> not to worry about finding replacements when needed.

Depending on how mobile you want it and where you'll use it an external
power pack could be used. A big battery connected to a laptop car power
supply would do and would form a scaleable supply:-
Not going far take 1or 2 internal batteries.
Going further but no power source take the external source.
Away for a few days but have a mains supply available - take a charger to
top the battery back up.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Thats's interesting.
>
> You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
> numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

I've got a Dell Latitude CPt that can do that. Check Dell's website for
specs. -JW
!