Advice Please: Portable MAME Device

I've been looking around to no avail, and was hoping that I can get
input on what kind of PC I can use to play several older MAME
games.(ie: Pac-man, Donkey Kong, ect.).

Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
for no less than 8 hours on a charge.

Does anything like this exist?

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
5 answers Last reply
More about advice please portable mame device

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > I've been looking around to no avail, and was hoping that I can get
    > input on what kind of PC I can use to play several older MAME
    > games.(ie: Pac-man, Donkey Kong, ect.).
    >
    > Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
    > battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
    > for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
    >
    > Does anything like this exist?
    >
    > Recommendations would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Here are some solutions:

    GP32 - http://tinyurl.com/5dr5p
    - $60-$320US (eBay)
    - 5+h on 2xAA

    N-Gage - http://tinyurl.com/4w7o8
    - $64-$320 (eBay)
    - 3-6h

    And a cheaper solution, but no MAME:
    GBA - http://tinyurl.com/5hfhl
    - $26-$120 (eBay)
    - 10-15h on 2xAA

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    > Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of the
    > battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can play
    > for no less than 8 hours on a charge.

    Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove the
    CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can get pretty
    close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em (charging one
    while the other's in play), or have more than 2 charged and ready, you
    can go pretty much forever. -JW

    J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >
    > > Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of
    the
    > > battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I can
    play
    > > for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
    >
    > Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove
    the
    > CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can get
    pretty
    > close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em (charging
    one
    > while the other's in play), or have more than 2 charged and ready,
    you
    > can go pretty much forever. -JW

    Thanks.

    Thats's interesting.

    You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
    numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

    I guess only a hard drive and ram on the mobo are the only things I
    really need.

    I just have to figure out how long the total life of these batteries
    are, since their maximum charge will decrease over time. I also have to
    determine whether or not these batteries are standardized enough not to
    worry about finding replacements when needed.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
    >> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Laptops and notebooks don't seem to be much of an option because of
    >>> the battery life issue, and I was hoping to find something that I
    >>> can play for no less than 8 hours on a charge.
    >>
    >> Don't overlook the laptops (like certain Dells) where you can remove
    >> the CD-ROM or floppy drive and insert a second battery. Those can
    >> get pretty close to 8 hours across the two, and if you hot-swap 'em
    >> (charging one while the other's in play), or have more than 2
    >> charged and ready, you can go pretty much forever. -JW
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Thats's interesting.
    >
    > You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
    > numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

    Inspiron 2500 has 2 bays, ours has a battery in one and a floppy in the
    other, according to the manual a 2nd batt can be swapped for the floppy.

    > I guess only a hard drive and ram on the mobo are the only things I
    > really need.
    >
    > I just have to figure out how long the total life of these batteries
    > are, since their maximum charge will decrease over time. I also have
    > to determine whether or not these batteries are standardized enough
    > not to worry about finding replacements when needed.

    Depending on how mobile you want it and where you'll use it an external
    power pack could be used. A big battery connected to a laptop car power
    supply would do and would form a scaleable supply:-
    Not going far take 1or 2 internal batteries.
    Going further but no power source take the external source.
    Away for a few days but have a mains supply available - take a charger to
    top the battery back up.

    --
    James...
    www.jameshart.co.uk

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Thats's interesting.
    >
    > You wouldn't by any chance know of any particular model
    > numbers?(Perhaps I can find a cheap one on Ebay).

    I've got a Dell Latitude CPt that can do that. Check Dell's website for
    specs. -JW

Internet Explorer Games Devices Video Games