mcfart

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Specs:
E6400 2.1GHZ
2GB RAM
8800GT
ASUS P5LD2 motherboard

When I went to format Windows 7, everything was working. I went through the setup, and when it started the actual install, I disconnected the display, mouse, keyboard, and sound and connected them to my laptop to use while the desktop was formatting.

Problem is, when I swiched back to my desktop, it had a black screen. Upon resetting now, it refuses to go past the BIOS. I can't even get into the setup. So far I've opened up the case and removed the CMOS battery, thinking that the CMOS settings were causing a problem, but to no avail. Help! =(

PS: Was doing a clean format/install of Win 7 Ultimate. I can't get to the disc part either, so can't attempt to reinstall.

mcfart

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
No but the BIOS shows that both the DVD/HD are detected, and I know the sounds it makes when the RAM isn't in properly (blows my ears out), and the Vid card is in properly cause I have a display...

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Yes, but you can still give it a shot. Sometimes the connector pins on RAM and add-on cards can lose connection just enough to cause an issue, but not enough to stop working completely. It will take all of 5 mins. If it works, awesome. If not, you eliminated a possible cause and I, or someone else on this forum, can continue to help.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Can you go into BIOS setup? Surely your computer doesn't rely on the HD to get into the BIOS setup, otherwise its stupid for a manufacturer to do that !!

Are you able run windows setup at all?

Mcfart,

Let me make it simple, Win 7 Ultimate, Hardware check, builds a list of drivers to install.
I bet you never knew that windows does this, that it finds the video driver for the graphics card and from that it gives a report
and the frequency range of the monitor connected to it.
eg 1024*768 @ 60 hz, it has to build a table of refresh rates.
So you restet the bios, then what happend is likely the HD was set up in AHCI mode and the bios defaulted to IDE.
Plus it is likely as far as the keyboard and mouse they are both usb.
So on resetting the bios detect usb legacy devices on start up is turned off.
need a ps2 keyboard. It will be the case why you cannot enter the bios by pressing the delete key, F1 key, or F2.