xp crashes when I add more memory

I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes. I
remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition and
when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a full
verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)

any ideas?

Hello

I would lut replace the memroy stick

Alvin

obi wrote:

> I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes. I
> remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition and
> when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a full
> verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)
>
> any ideas?

Is the new bit of a memory the same brand as the original, sometimes there
can be an incompatability issue if they're not the same brand

"Alvin Brown" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would lut replace the memroy stick
>
> Alvin
>

> obi wrote:
>
> > I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes. I
> > remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition and
> > when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a full
> > verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)
> >
> > any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, but....
I don't think its the memory as it works when I boot to the second partition
os, it only crashes on the first partition os. (see below on the difference
between the two partition OS's.)

"chewyshaun" wrote:

> Is the new bit of a memory the same brand as the original, sometimes there
> can be an incompatability issue if they're not the same brand
>
> "Alvin Brown" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I would lut replace the memroy stick
> >
> > Alvin
> >

> > obi wrote:
> >
> > > I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes. I
> > > remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition and
> > > when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a full
> > > verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)
> > >
> > > any ideas?

What happens when you pull the original 128MB of RAM and leave in the 512 MB
stick? Does it boot OK. If not the stick can't handle the additional
stress of the full operating system (more of the memory is used with a
loaded OS than a stripped OS). If it works OK, there is an incompatibility
between the two sticks of memory. Leave the 128 MB out of the system.

"obi" <obi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes.
> remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition
and
> when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a
full
> verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)
>
> any ideas?

bar

The problem lies in the differences between the two memory modules.

Pull out the smaller item and be happy with your 512Mb PC.

"LVTravel" wrote:

> What happens when you pull the original 128MB of RAM and leave in the 512 MB
> stick? Does it boot OK. If not the stick can't handle the additional
> stress of the full operating system (more of the memory is used with a
> loaded OS than a stripped OS). If it works OK, there is an incompatibility
> between the two sticks of memory. Leave the 128 MB out of the system.
>

> "obi" <obi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I added 512 meg of pc133 to bring it to 640. When I reboot winxp crashes.
> > remove the 512 and winxp runs ok. I also have winxp on a second partition
> and
> > when I boot it with the 512 in it runs ok. (the first partition xp is a
> full
> > verson with sp2, the second partition xp is stripped down with no frills)
> >
> > any ideas?

with just the 512 installed windows still crashes on the first partition but
runs find on the second partition. And with just a stick of 128 both
partitions run fine.

After I back up my first partition, i am going to make a recovery disk and
see if windows will rebuild itself with the 512 installed.

thanks