Hi,

I have an MSI 845GL motherboard, which works great, except I cannot get the
front USB ports to work at all ! (all 4 onboard ports work fine)

The pinout of the connectors is correct, as it's printed on the connectors
themselves and it matches that in the manual for the board. The only
difference is that both connectors have 2x ground wires, and the board has
1x USBOC and the other 'key' (no pin at all). I have tried the commonly
suggested trick of cutting the second ground wire, and it did absolutely
nothing !

I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and have the following under USB in device
manager:

1 x USB Enhanced Host Controller
3 x USB Universal Host Controller
1 x USB 2.0 Root Hub
3 x USB Root Hub

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Chris

Did your motherboard come with a D-LED rear panel connector? If so,
that will have a USB cable also that you can try.

Skeleton Man wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an MSI 845GL motherboard, which works great, except I cannot get the
> front USB ports to work at all ! (all 4 onboard ports work fine)
>
> The pinout of the connectors is correct, as it's printed on the connectors
> themselves and it matches that in the manual for the board. The only
> difference is that both connectors have 2x ground wires, and the board has
> 1x USBOC and the other 'key' (no pin at all). I have tried the commonly
> suggested trick of cutting the second ground wire, and it did absolutely
> nothing !
>
> I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and have the following under USB in device
> manager:
>
> 1 x USB Enhanced Host Controller
> 3 x USB Universal Host Controller
> 1 x USB 2.0 Root Hub
> 3 x USB Root Hub
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

>Did your motherboard come with a D-LED rear panel connector? If so,
>that will have a USB cable also that you can try.

It didn't come with any connector.. what is a D-LED rear panel connector ?
I'm assuming a rear blanking plate with USB connectors ?

Regards,
Chris

Skeleton Man wrote:
> It didn't come with any connector.. what is a D-LED rear panel connector ?
> I'm assuming a rear blanking plate with USB connectors ?

Yes, made by MSI and included with many motherboards. Some leave it out
but your motherboard manual may show it as optional. It plugs into the
front panel USB connector (often JUSB2) and provides USB connections to
the rear. It also has a 2nd cable that plugs into an LED diagnostic
connector on the motherboard and shows 4 LEDS that help determine why a
motherboard is not booting.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:38:24 GMT, "Skeleton Man"
<invalid@guestwho.com> wrote:

>1x USBOC and the other 'key' (no pin at all). I have tried the commonly

I have Antec Sonata Piano-case.

Front USB connectors begun to work when I removed a wire from USBOC.

Timppa wrote:
> I have Antec Sonata Piano-case.
>
> Front USB connectors begun to work when I removed a wire from USBOC.

I have the same case. Removing the brown wire on the case header made
it work. This wire was tied to ground on the Sonata front panel end.

Well I think the board is at fault, I should be able to measure some voltage
between + and - pins correct ? well it reads nothing at all.

Chris

Are you referring to the +/- data lines or from the +5VDC power to ground?

Skeleton Man wrote:
> Well I think the board is at fault, I should be able to measure some voltage
> between + and - pins correct ? well it reads nothing at all.
>
> Chris

>Are you referring to the +/- data lines or from the +5VDC power to ground?

My mistake, I was measuring data lines. +5VDC to ground is normal (reading
about 5.1 - 5.2V).
I tried swapping + and - data lines, but that made no difference.

I guess my next step is to cut the usb plug off something that no longer
works, and check the voltages coming out of the ports.

Chris