shooter

Hi out there

As older CDROM drives are unable to read CDR/CDRW's, if the firmware is
updated would this enable the ROM drive to now read CDR/CDRW disc's?

On another note would updateing firmware on an older motherboard enable it
to read the full capacity of a large HDD?

Thanks

"Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi out there
>
> As older CDROM drives are unable to read CDR/CDRW's, if the firmware is
> updated would this enable the ROM drive to now read CDR/CDRW disc's?

Good question for the manufacturer of the cdrom. However a LG cdrw is
$30.00 CDN. BTW my TEAC 40x cdrom in a Pentium MMX 200MHz (ABIT PX5
mainboard) reads cdr and cdrw no problem.

> On another note would updateing firmware on an older motherboard enable it
> to read the full capacity of a large HDD?
>
> Thanks

Check this out:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

r.

Sometimes...mobo firmware is called BIOS

There are software updates for CDROM that allow reading
CD-RW and packet writing or UDF software coding.

"Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Hi out there
|
| As older CDROM drives are unable to read CDR/CDRW's, if
the firmware is
| updated would this enable the ROM drive to now read
CDR/CDRW disc's?

| On another note would updateing firmware on an older
motherboard enable it
| to read the full capacity of a large HDD?
|
| Thanks

Hello

In this case being that you have an older cdrom doing
a firmware update may and may not help, I suggest you
just go out and but a new cdrom drive.

Alvin