Dell.co.uk - Laptop Screen Options

One of the advantages or maybe disadvantages of buying a laptop from Dell is
the way you can configure the specification when ordering.
I have been looking at the New Inspiron 6000 laptop and one of the options
is for the 15.4" Wide aspect display. You can choose WUXGA (1920 x 1200
pixels), WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 pixels), WXGA (1280 x 800 pixels). Without
actually seeing the laptops to compare screens its difficult to know if the
more expensive option is worth the money. As Dell don't actually have a
showroom in the UK can anyone suggest a way of seeing the difference between
the screens? Does Dell ever attend computer shows or exhibit at any events?
I did call Dell some years ago before I bought my desktop and their best
suggestion was to ask my bank manager if I could see his! No surprisingly I
bought my PC elsewhere.

Hello

Well you may just have to go that route again, besides
Dell is not the only pc maker out their

Alvin

M wrote:

> One of the advantages or maybe disadvantages of buying a laptop from Dell is
> the way you can configure the specification when ordering.
> I have been looking at the New Inspiron 6000 laptop and one of the options
> is for the 15.4" Wide aspect display. You can choose WUXGA (1920 x 1200
> pixels), WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 pixels), WXGA (1280 x 800 pixels). Without
> actually seeing the laptops to compare screens its difficult to know if the
> more expensive option is worth the money. As Dell don't actually have a
> showroom in the UK can anyone suggest a way of seeing the difference between
> the screens? Does Dell ever attend computer shows or exhibit at any events?
> I did call Dell some years ago before I bought my desktop and their best
> suggestion was to ask my bank manager if I could see his! No surprisingly I
> bought my PC elsewhere.

The WUXGA screen (1920x1200) on my Dell laptop is wonderful for watching
DVDs (just wish I had time) but it often makes text so small I really have
to squint!

--
####################
## PH, London

M wrote:
> options is for the 15.4" Wide aspect display. You can choose WUXGA
> (1920 x 1200 pixels), WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 pixels), WXGA (1280 x 800
> pixels). Without actually seeing the laptops to compare screens its
> difficult to know if the more expensive option is worth the money.

1280x800 on 15.4" wide screen will leave most people feeling that is too low
a resolution for a laptop display of that size. Sony S-series laptops pack
1280x800 on a 13.1" wide screen -- at that size it is great, but not at
15.4".

Of the other two, 1920x1200 may be a bit of the opposite extreme. If you are
running your 19-20" desktop display at 1600x1200 you will probably feel
right at home with that on your lap, but some might find it hard to read.
Of course, that's easy to fix by changing font sizes and dpi settings, so
you can't go wrong. 1680x1050 could be a happy middle ground for an average
user.

> As Dell don't actually have a showroom in the UK can anyone suggest a way
> of seeing the difference between the screens?

You don't need to be looking at a Dell product to see this difference. Go
to any local store and look at any other brand wide screen laptops, as long
as they have similar display size and resolutions. The quality of the
display may vary a bit, but dpi is dpi, regardless.

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)