No Sound at all.

I have no sound at all. My computer does not play system sounds, CDs, MP3s,
or anything else. I have troubleshooted and re-troubleshooted and I cannot
figure it out. I used PC Doctor as well and it told me to contact my vendor,
but I figured I would try here first. I am sure that nothing is muted and
the volume is set to an audible level so I need some help. Please help if
you can!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about sound

    Kristen,

    You have likely checked the obvious, but I'll run through them again, in
    case you may have forgotten something.
    Check all connections between the sound card, microphone and speakers. Is
    everything OK in Device Manager? Check those mute options again. If
    possible, check the speakers in another computer. If the speakers are
    powered, as most are these days, check that power cord. What about drivers?
    Have you resorted to reinstalling them yet? Have you tried using various
    players like Real Player or Divx or QuickTime in addition to Media Player?

    That's about it. Post back with results. Someone may have better
    information for you by then. Good luck!

    "Kristen" <Kristen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have no sound at all. My computer does not play system sounds, CDs,
    MP3s,
    > or anything else. I have troubleshooted and re-troubleshooted and I
    cannot
    > figure it out. I used PC Doctor as well and it told me to contact my
    vendor,
    > but I figured I would try here first. I am sure that nothing is muted and
    > the volume is set to an audible level so I need some help. Please help if
    > you can!!!

    i lost sound when my computer errased files,i had to reprogramme my computer
    now i have no sound,cannot adjust volume as it says i have no sound
    card,which i have,any ideas please.

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > Kristen,
    >
    > You have likely checked the obvious, but I'll run through them again, in
    > case you may have forgotten something.
    > Check all connections between the sound card, microphone and speakers. Is
    > everything OK in Device Manager? Check those mute options again. If
    > possible, check the speakers in another computer. If the speakers are
    > powered, as most are these days, check that power cord. What about drivers?
    > Have you resorted to reinstalling them yet? Have you tried using various
    > players like Real Player or Divx or QuickTime in addition to Media Player?
    >
    > That's about it. Post back with results. Someone may have better
    > information for you by then. Good luck!
    >
    > "Kristen" <Kristen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have no sound at all. My computer does not play system sounds, CDs,
    > MP3s,
    > > or anything else. I have troubleshooted and re-troubleshooted and I
    > cannot
    > > figure it out. I used PC Doctor as well and it told me to contact my
    > vendor,
    > > but I figured I would try here first. I am sure that nothing is muted and
    > > the volume is set to an audible level so I need some help. Please help if
    > > you can!!!

    Install the drivers for the soundcard, if it's an "onboard sound chip"
    use the drivers from the motherboard install cd.

    kevin.g wrote:

    > i lost sound when my computer errased files,i had to reprogramme my computer
    > now i have no sound,cannot adjust volume as it says i have no sound
    > card,which i have,any ideas please.
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >

    >>Kristen,
    >>
    >>You have likely checked the obvious, but I'll run through them again, in
    >>case you may have forgotten something.
    >>Check all connections between the sound card, microphone and speakers. Is
    >>everything OK in Device Manager? Check those mute options again. If
    >>possible, check the speakers in another computer. If the speakers are
    >>powered, as most are these days, check that power cord. What about drivers?
    >>Have you resorted to reinstalling them yet? Have you tried using various
    >>players like Real Player or Divx or QuickTime in addition to Media Player?
    >>
    >>That's about it. Post back with results. Someone may have better
    >>information for you by then. Good luck!
    >>
    >>"Kristen" <Kristen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have no sound at all. My computer does not play system sounds, CDs,
    >>>
    >>MP3s,
    >>
    >>>or anything else. I have troubleshooted and re-troubleshooted and I
    >>>
    >>cannot
    >>
    >>>figure it out. I used PC Doctor as well and it told me to contact my
    >>>
    >>vendor,
    >>
    >>>but I figured I would try here first. I am sure that nothing is muted and
    >>>the volume is set to an audible level so I need some help. Please help if
    >>>you can!!!

    I would add:

    1) Power down system
    2) Pull sound card out of PCI slot
    3) Boot to Safe Mode, go to device manager, and make sure no remnants of
    sound card driver files etc have been left behind, and delete all in the
    "sound/audio device" category, and reboot.

    4) Return to normal mode, and check device manager again.
    5) Shutdown and power-off.
    6) Reinstall the sound card
    7) Power up the machine, and wait for it to boot windows, and hopefully the
    card will be detected.
    8) If and when prompted, insert the CD with the drivers on it, and allow
    windows to install them.
    9) Reboot once more when this is all done.
    10) Test with sample sounds or cd-audio etc.
    11) Update drivers from manufacturer site.

    12) if none of the above help, well I'm out of suggestions.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Kristen,
    >
    > You have likely checked the obvious, but I'll run through them again, in
    > case you may have forgotten something.
    > Check all connections between the sound card, microphone and speakers. Is
    > everything OK in Device Manager? Check those mute options again. If
    > possible, check the speakers in another computer. If the speakers are
    > powered, as most are these days, check that power cord. What about
    > drivers?
    > Have you resorted to reinstalling them yet? Have you tried using various
    > players like Real Player or Divx or QuickTime in addition to Media Player?
    >
    > That's about it. Post back with results. Someone may have better
    > information for you by then. Good luck!
    >
    > "Kristen" <Kristen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have no sound at all. My computer does not play system sounds, CDs,
    > MP3s,
    >> or anything else. I have troubleshooted and re-troubleshooted and I
    > cannot
    >> figure it out. I used PC Doctor as well and it told me to contact my
    > vendor,
    >> but I figured I would try here first. I am sure that nothing is muted
    >> and
    >> the volume is set to an audible level so I need some help. Please help
    >> if
    >> you can!!!

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP