Not Welcome

My OS Win.XPPro SP2, Office 2003

After one of the latest unknown Microsoft automatic updates (although to be
fair this did not demonstrate itself immediately after the download for
several days) my PC on boot up gets stuck with "Welcome" screen for several
minutes.
It never did that before. Is there anything I can do to overcome this
problem, before it becomes permanent? Thank you.
It was suggested that I try the following:
Check your start-up, is probably loading applications you do not need at
this time.Start/Run/type MSCONFIG/click Enter, click the start-up tab
Disable/uncheck programs not needed, do not uncheck your anti-virus
Click Apply and Close. Reboot It should load a lot faster now.

This did not work! and my PC is showing a Notice that it does not like it!
Any suggestions on what to do to cure this problem? Thank you.

What notice?

Problems with software updates usually strike immediately,
it is likely you got some virus after the update? You may
have had some hardware problem just develop.

Do a disk cleanup and defrag, this will help as well as
running a full-system virus scan and a scan for adware.

http://www.blackviper.com/