Harddrive VERY slow

February 3, 2005 9:23:21 AM

Hi all,
Can someone point me in the right direction here...
I have recently upgraded to an MSI 6712 MB (KT4V)
I have an ST380011A 80MB HDD which has become very slow.
I am running XP Pro SP2 with 256 DDR ram.

It used to be fine, but now my HDD is VERY slow. FreshDiagnose says
that I am only getting 4MB/s read speed (which is what it feels like)
and 20MB/s write Speed.

It is running in DMA mode 5. It has an ATA-66 cable (multiwire)

What could be wrong here? I believe it was working much faster before.

I have played with the pagefile settings, I have defragged, I have
updated the VIA drivers (which dont seem to affect the IDE).
I dont know what to try next....

Email me at greg AT thedenehys.com

Thanks.

Greg

More about : harddrive slow

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:39:53 PM

This is a newsgroup posting and email tech support. The replies will/may
not be sent to you email. You should be check out this post later so as to
see if there is any soultions for you.

You will need to check the ATA cable and make sure that it is not 'pinched'.
Pinched wires can break.

Also, hard drives will always slow down so as to match the "slowest" device
on the ATA-66 cable. This is normally why the hard drive and any CD/DVD
drives are connected to two different cables. If they are on the same
cable, then the hard drive can be slowed down.

Finally, check of "spyware" programs on your system. These programs get
installed without your knowledge and can slow everything down.

"gdenehy" <greg@thedenehys.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Can someone point me in the right direction here...
> I have recently upgraded to an MSI 6712 MB (KT4V)
> I have an ST380011A 80MB HDD which has become very slow.
> I am running XP Pro SP2 with 256 DDR ram.
>
> It used to be fine, but now my HDD is VERY slow. FreshDiagnose says
> that I am only getting 4MB/s read speed (which is what it feels like)
> and 20MB/s write Speed.
>
> It is running in DMA mode 5. It has an ATA-66 cable (multiwire)
>
> What could be wrong here? I believe it was working much faster before.
>
> I have played with the pagefile settings, I have defragged, I have
> updated the VIA drivers (which dont seem to affect the IDE).
> I dont know what to try next....
>
> Email me at greg AT thedenehys.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:00:36 PM

I have tried 2 different cables.
The HDD is the only device on the cable. I even tried removing my CD's
off the other cable.
I have run evry anti-spyware thing I can get my hands on.

Next? :)
February 3, 2005 7:01:59 PM

I have tried 2 different cables.
The HDD is the only device on the cable. I even tried removing my CD's
off the other cable.
I have run evry anti-spyware thing I can get my hands on.

Next? :)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:02:45 PM

I have tried 2 different cables.
The HDD is the only device on the cable. I even tried removing my CD's
off the other cable.
I have run evry anti-spyware thing I can get my hands on.

Next? :)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:57:57 PM

Well, I have checked all IDE BIOS settings to the best of my knowledge.
What am I looking for specifically? Everything seems fine...
I have run a full scandisk.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:09:30 AM

Well I did not know that! Thanks!
Is that REALLY going to make it that slow tho??? There are not 80 pins
on the connectors, so how could it make it drop down to 4MB/s?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:57:57 AM

What is wrong is that you need an ATA-100 cable. They are very much
different than ATA-66 cables. ATA-66 drives will run correctly with 40 wire
cables. The ATA-100 (DMA-5) drives need an 80 wire cable.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"gdenehy" <greg@thedenehys.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Can someone point me in the right direction here...
> I have recently upgraded to an MSI 6712 MB (KT4V)
> I have an ST380011A 80MB HDD which has become very slow.
> I am running XP Pro SP2 with 256 DDR ram.
>
> It used to be fine, but now my HDD is VERY slow. FreshDiagnose says
> that I am only getting 4MB/s read speed (which is what it feels like)
> and 20MB/s write Speed.
>
> It is running in DMA mode 5. It has an ATA-66 cable (multiwire)
>
> What could be wrong here? I believe it was working much faster before.
>
> I have played with the pagefile settings, I have defragged, I have
> updated the VIA drivers (which dont seem to affect the IDE).
> I dont know what to try next....
>
> Email me at greg AT thedenehys.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:22:43 AM

I have an 80 wire cable. I even tried 3 different ones that I know are
good. Still no luck. Next?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:13:56 AM

Also, I am getting only 4MB/s WAY less than even U/33
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:31:40 AM

Everything works fine and fast except reading from the drive.
Caching shouldnt make that much difference to pure HDD read speed, but
I beleive it is all set correct. As I said, the system runs fine when
it doesnt needs much acess to the HDD.
There is nothing pertaining to IDE except on and off.
I have used the utilitites to make certain that the drive is set to ATA
100
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:46:24 AM

Hi,

..........There are not 80 pins on the connectors,

True, but each connector is using two wires on the newer cabling.

.........Is that REALLY going to make it that slow tho???

Doesn't seem like it would does it.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:55:17 AM

Richard Urban wrote:

> What is wrong is that you need an ATA-100 cable. They are very much
> different than ATA-66 cables. ATA-66 drives will run correctly with 40 wire
> cables. The ATA-100 (DMA-5) drives need an 80 wire cable.

Ooh, no. There are two flavors of IDE cable: the 40-wire version is only
good for U/33 and slower; the 80-wire version is required for U/66 and
faster (but will also work for slower speeds).

If the OP has a 40-wire cable, then the POST should report the HD on that
cable as U/33 (or the equivalent U/DMA mode 2).
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

gdenehy wrote:

> Well I did not know that! Thanks!
> Is that REALLY going to make it that slow tho??? There are not 80 pins
> on the connectors, so how could it make it drop down to 4MB/s?

It is a 40-pin connector in either case. The 80-wire cable uses the extra
40 wires for added grounds.

And using an old 40-wire IDE cable should drop the peak transfer rate down
to 33 MB/s, which means a burst rate of <33 MB/s. Of course, to see the
difference, you either need to look at the POST report from the BIOS during
booting; or, get HDtach to reliably report what the hardware is doing
without the filter of the OS.
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

Sure is. And it says it is in UDMA mode 5
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:13:10 AM

Have you done a repair install or clean install of Windows XP? Changing
motherboards (even the same model) almost always requires at least a repair
install. Just updating the VIA drivers would not be enough.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

"gdenehy" <greg@thedenehys.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Can someone point me in the right direction here...
> I have recently upgraded to an MSI 6712 MB (KT4V)
> I have an ST380011A 80MB HDD which has become very slow.
> I am running XP Pro SP2 with 256 DDR ram.
>
> It used to be fine, but now my HDD is VERY slow. FreshDiagnose says
> that I am only getting 4MB/s read speed (which is what it feels like)
> and 20MB/s write Speed.
>
> It is running in DMA mode 5. It has an ATA-66 cable (multiwire)
>
> What could be wrong here? I believe it was working much faster before.
>
> I have played with the pagefile settings, I have defragged, I have
> updated the VIA drivers (which dont seem to affect the IDE).
> I dont know what to try next....
>
> Email me at greg AT thedenehys.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:26:42 AM

I did a full reinstall.
I am pretty sure it was working good for a while and this only started
happening reasonably recently.
I have installed a million programs and drivers and whatnot since, so I
cant pinpoint anything.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:49:30 AM

Is "Use DMA....." turned on for the IDE channel in Device manager?

gdenehy wrote:

> Everything works fine and fast except reading from the drive.
> Caching shouldnt make that much difference to pure HDD read speed, but
> I beleive it is all set correct. As I said, the system runs fine when
> it doesnt needs much acess to the HDD.
> There is nothing pertaining to IDE except on and off.
> I have used the utilitites to make certain that the drive is set to ATA
> 100

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:18:28 PM

Have you tried rolling back the driver to an older version? If that doesn't
work my next step would be to back up all your data, remove the drive and
try a different drive. Another possible troubleshooting step is to
dissconnect all other IDE devices and cables and see what happens. Now with
only the hard drive connected try a different cable. You could also try
disconnecting everything and hook the drive up on the secondary IDE
connector. Most motherboards can be set to allow you to boot with this
configuration. If none of these work my next step would be to overwrite
track 0 and do a fresh install of Windows. If you still have no joy then the
motherboard is probably defective. The most common cause I have seen of this
problem is a bad cable, usually caused by whoever assembled the computer
folding the cable and tying it with a zap strap to make everything look
neat. The cable eventually breaks at the folds.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

>I did a full reinstall.
> I am pretty sure it was working good for a while and this only started
> happening reasonably recently.
> I have installed a million programs and drivers and whatnot since, so I
> cant pinpoint anything.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:12:12 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:46:24 -0500, PA20Pilot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> .........There are not 80 pins on the connectors,
>
> True, but each connector is using two wires on the newer cabling.

Not true, I think there are 7 grounding connections, the alternate cable
wire in the bundle is connected to one of the 7 grounds - this alternating
of the ground signal provides for lowering cross-talk (static between the
data wires).

> ........Is that REALLY going to make it that slow tho???
>
> Doesn't seem like it would does it.

On drives that support the higher performance you absolutely need the 80
conductor cable in order to use them at the higher speed.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Tried all that (except a fresh install - just did one so would prefer
not to have to do it again!)
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:49:47 AM

Did a different drive work OK? Yes = defective hard drive, No = defective
motherboard. That is if you have gone through all the other troubleshooting
steps and eliminated bad cable, bad driver etc.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

> Tried all that (except a fresh install - just did one so would prefer
> not to have to do it again!)

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:42:50 PM

Yves Leclerc wrote:

>Also, hard drives will always slow down so as to match the "slowest" device
>on the ATA-66 cable. This is normally why the hard drive and any CD/DVD
>drives are connected to two different cables. If they are on the same
>cable, then the hard drive can be slowed down.

No they do not with controllers and drivers capable of supporting UDMA.
That went out when EIDE came in - years ago

February 5, 2005 10:44:34 PM

gdenehy wrote:

>Well I did not know that! Thanks!
>Is that REALLY going to make it that slow tho??? There are not 80 pins
>on the connectors, so how could it make it drop down to 4MB/s?

80 wires into 40 pin plugs. The intermediate wires are (shared)
additional ground to shield signals But an ATA 66 cable should already
have them