Early Intellimouse Explorer?

G

I have a rather aggrivating problem with my MS Intellimouse Explorer. When moving accross the screen, the cursor jumps pixels. It does not move smoothly. I can see that it jumps quite a few pixels at a time. Yet after it jumps, it moves a single pixel, then jumps again. So I have a jump-smooth-jump-smooth movement pattern that repeats. Perhaps this is due to the version of the mouse? It says "Explorer 1.0A USB" just above the bar code. Does the 3.0 version of the optical technology skip along the screen like 1.0A does?

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 3.0 version did not have the same problem. It is because the 3.0 version takes 6000 Snapshots per second but 1.0A only take 1500 Snapshots per second.

G

I'm not happy with my intellimouse explorer (3.0). Either because it's so light, or because it has no ball to assist in rolling, friction causes it to do a little jump when I first start moving it (maybe 5 pixels).

It moves smoothly once it's overcome the friction, but that little jump makes it too hard to play games (try adjusting a sniple rifle when it keeps jumping).

I'm taking it back to see if the Intellimouse Optical has the same problem. If so, then I'll probably have to stick to a balled mouse for games.

P.S. I've thought about oiling the rubber contacts. Any input on that?

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

G

Yeah. I'm testing both the Intellimouse Explorer and the Intellimouse Optical. While the optical jumps less severely than the Explorer neither is as easy to game with as my $9 Logitech wheel mouse. I'm going to test out the Logitech mouse with the dual eyes today. If that one is as bad for gaming as the Microsoft products then I guess I delay getting an optical mouse for another year.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If weight is what you want then the Logitech dual mouseman is the way to go. It's got a chunk of steel bolted into it for presumably that reason. I've got both mice, and for fun, I let the people at work try them both out. Most preferred the Logitech. I prefer the Explorer for the extra button, and I can't say I have that problem with "jumping". I guess it's a matter of preference.

G

I have never had any kind of problems with my Explorer either. I prefer it to regular mice, as well, because of you never have to clean the sucker. That was the most irritationg part of having a mouse for me. This weekend, I am planning on buying the new one, that is around 6000dpi. w000t!!!

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I haven't had any problems with mine. Does it have something to do with the surface you are using it on?

Whatcha gonna do when the trolls run wild on you?!?!?!