Cheap colour printer with duplexer

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a cheap colour laser printer (my
budget is in the hundreds rather than thousands range). I rather like
the look of the Samsung CLP500 because of its excellent price (£420 with
£150 discount, so a total of about £270 or USD $500 or so), but
unfortunately it requires a Windows machine to work, and my network is
more Mac and Unix orientated, so something which can understand
PostScript/PCL would be better.

Basically my only requirements are that it is a colour laser, with a
duplex unit, that can run from a Unix (FreeBSD or Linux) server.

The cheap low end HP Laserjets like the 2550 sound quite nice (they
speak PostScript I believe) but it seems impossible to get a duplex unit.

I'd be greatful for any recommendations.

Thanks,
Chris Howells
5 answers Last reply
More about cheap colour printer duplexer

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:54:57 +0100, Chris Howells wrote:

    > I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a cheap colour laser printer (my
    > budget is in the hundreds rather than thousands range). I rather like
    > the look of the Samsung CLP500 because of its excellent price (£420 with
    > £150 discount, so a total of about £270 or USD $500 or so), but
    > unfortunately it requires a Windows machine to work, and my network is
    > more Mac and Unix orientated, so something which can understand
    > PostScript/PCL would be better.
    >
    > Basically my only requirements are that it is a colour laser, with a
    > duplex unit, that can run from a Unix (FreeBSD or Linux) server.

    One of the cheapest colour lasers supporting PostScript and PCL is the
    Lexmark C510, which can be had for around £400+VAT, but if you add the
    duplex unit to it the price goes up by nearly £300+VAT so not so cheap
    anymore.

    If you can hold off buying one for a few months Samsung are supposed to be
    releasing the CLP-550 in the UK later this year which will be the same as
    the CLP-500 but have PostScript and PCL emulations.

    Peter
    http://www.printerbase.co.uk/

    In message <1skme11b4ci5n.31oe5qgv2cu1$.dlg@40tude.net>, Peter
    <printerbase@yahoo.co.uk> writes
    >On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:54:57 +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a cheap colour laser printer (my
    >> budget is in the hundreds rather than thousands range). I rather like
    >> the look of the Samsung CLP500 because of its excellent price (£420 with
    >> £150 discount, so a total of about £270 or USD $500 or so), but
    >> unfortunately it requires a Windows machine to work, and my network is
    >> more Mac and Unix orientated, so something which can understand
    >> PostScript/PCL would be better.
    >>
    >> Basically my only requirements are that it is a colour laser, with a
    >> duplex unit, that can run from a Unix (FreeBSD or Linux) server.
    >
    >One of the cheapest colour lasers supporting PostScript and PCL is the
    >Lexmark C510, which can be had for around £400+VAT, but if you add the
    >duplex unit to it the price goes up by nearly £300+VAT so not so cheap
    >anymore.
    >
    >If you can hold off buying one for a few months Samsung are supposed to be
    >releasing the CLP-550 in the UK later this year which will be the same as
    >the CLP-500 but have PostScript and PCL emulations.

    What about the Xerox version of the same Samsung?

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:28:30 +0100, Timothy Lee wrote:

    >>One of the cheapest colour lasers supporting PostScript and PCL is the
    >>Lexmark C510, which can be had for around £400+VAT, but if you add the
    >>duplex unit to it the price goes up by nearly £300+VAT so not so cheap
    >>anymore.
    >>
    >>If you can hold off buying one for a few months Samsung are supposed to be
    >>releasing the CLP-550 in the UK later this year which will be the same as
    >>the CLP-500 but have PostScript and PCL emulations.
    >>
    > What about the Xerox version of the same Samsung?

    It still doesn't have PostScript or PCL emulations.

    Peter

    Hi,

    Peter wrote:

    > One of the cheapest colour lasers supporting PostScript and PCL is the
    > Lexmark C510, which can be had for around £400+VAT, but if you add the
    > duplex unit to it the price goes up by nearly £300+VAT so not so cheap
    > anymore.

    I see. The Lexmark does looks quite nice actually, but 700+VAT is
    unfortunately way past my budget. So it looks like the Samsung is a one
    off really in coming with a duplex unit.

    The other printer I was looking at was the HP Colour LaserJet 2550,
    which supports PostScript and PCL but unfortunately there is no duplex
    option. The price is quite good though I think.

    I'm wondering what the quality for photographs will be like though. I'm
    definitely under no illusions about hoping that a colour laser will be
    able to print amazing photos (otherwise I'd definitely be looking at an
    inkjet instead), just something that can create something which is
    adequate enough to look at on the rare occassion that I do decide to
    print a photo.

    > If you can hold off buying one for a few months Samsung are supposed to be
    > releasing the CLP-550 in the UK later this year which will be the same as
    > the CLP-500 but have PostScript and PCL emulations.

    Hmmm. That does sound very nice. Thanks for the info!

    Cheers,
    Chris Howells

    In message <__FFc.2860$Fc7.459235@stones.force9.net>, Chris Howells
    <usenet@devrandom.org.uk> writes

    >Hi,
    >
    >Peter wrote:
    >
    >> One of the cheapest colour lasers supporting PostScript and PCL is the
    >> Lexmark C510, which can be had for around £400+VAT, but if you add the
    >> duplex unit to it the price goes up by nearly £300+VAT so not so cheap
    >> anymore.
    >
    >I see. The Lexmark does looks quite nice actually, but 700+VAT is
    >unfortunately way past my budget. So it looks like the Samsung is a one
    >off really in coming with a duplex unit.

    What's the cost of consumables like ?

    Cheers, J/.
    --
    John Beardmore