K7T266 Pro version 1.0 and athlon XP processors

geoff

Hi,
According to msi's website, specifically;
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=
27

This motherboard supports athlon processors up to XP2000. I have just
installed an athlon XP1800
and D-LED is giving me four red leds. The machine boots/runs fine when
fitted with a 750MHz Duron.
I have updated the bios to version 1.9 but still no dice. Does/should this
version of this board (1.0 not 1.0A)
run an athlon XP? The processor is OK, I reinstalled it in its existing
machine to post this message. TIA

Geoff

300W codegen PSU
512MB crucial memory as two 256MB modules slot 1+2 ( compatible with the
board according to http://www.crucial.com )
Athlon XP1800 (hopefully!)
2 X 40GB seagate barracudas.

geoff

"Geoff" <harvest.time@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> According to msi's website, specifically;

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=
> 27
>
> This motherboard supports athlon processors up to XP2000. I have just
> installed an athlon XP1800
> and D-LED is giving me four red leds. The machine boots/runs fine when
> fitted with a 750MHz Duron.
> I have updated the bios to version 1.9 but still no dice. Does/should this
> version of this board (1.0 not 1.0A)
> run an athlon XP? The processor is OK, I reinstalled it in its existing
> machine to post this message. TIA
>
> Geoff
>
> 300W codegen PSU
> 512MB crucial memory as two 256MB modules slot 1+2 ( compatible with the
> board according to http://www.crucial.com )
> Athlon XP1800 (hopefully!)
> 2 X 40GB seagate barracudas.

Sorry to follow up my own post. Found the answer. This motherboard supports
Athlon XP palomino processors only. Mine is a
thoroughbred............typical.

> Sorry to follow up my own post. Found the answer. This motherboard
supports
> Athlon XP palomino processors only. Mine is a
> thoroughbred............typical.

Yeah I have the Pro 2 RU version of the board, so only a few revisions later
really, and I am running an XP 2100+ Palomino version. Apparently it is as
fast as the board can go... My next step will be a MB upgrade... Athlon 64
of some sort i guess... Unless I can afford those Dual Opterons ;-)

Simon Howson