DVD/CD ROM's All burn?

Hi all.., I'm trying to burn some music I downloaded from Napster to either
DVD+R's or DVD-RW's using Nero 6 on my Gateway 9300 Pro through it's
internal DVD/CD ROM. It plays movies and DC's great, but do ALL DVD/CD
ROM's have the ability to write or burn also? If not.., what to do?
4 answers Last reply
More about burn

    Check out the drive specifications correctly! You may have a combo style
    drive that includes a DVD+RDVD-R burner instead of just a ROM drive. ROM
    drives do not normally "burn" DVDs/CDs.

    "81mm" <res0n8e5@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all.., I'm trying to burn some music I downloaded from Napster to
    > either DVD+R's or DVD-RW's using Nero 6 on my Gateway 9300 Pro through
    > it's
    > internal DVD/CD ROM. It plays movies and DC's great, but do ALL DVD/CD
    > ROM's have the ability to write or burn also? If not.., what to do?

    CD or DVD 'ROM' - Read only memory, sometimes simplified today as 'R'

    CD or DVD 'RW' - ReWriteable

    in DVDs there are two recording formats '+' and '-'

    The nomencalture is clear and easy to understand

    DVD + [plus] format explanation:
    DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard,
    Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.

    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record
    data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not
    be recorded onto a second time.

    DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc
    can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

    DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM
    players.

    DVD - [minus] format explanation:
    These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi,
    NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD
    Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only
    record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc
    can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional
    standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring,
    which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available
    to the general public.

    DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a

    "81mm" wrote:

    > Hi all.., I'm trying to burn some music I downloaded from Napster to either
    > DVD+R's or DVD-RW's using Nero 6 on my Gateway 9300 Pro through it's
    > internal DVD/CD ROM. It plays movies and DC's great, but do ALL DVD/CD
    > ROM's have the ability to write or burn also? If not.., what to do?

    You need a CD or DVD burner drive - not just a CD-ROM drive. These are
    different from your standard CD-reader/player.

    I'd ask Gateway if they can upgrade your machine with a CD/DVD Writer (or
    you should purchase one from them, and install it - whichever).

    "81mm" <res0n8e5@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all.., I'm trying to burn some music I downloaded from Napster to
    > either DVD+R's or DVD-RW's using Nero 6 on my Gateway 9300 Pro through
    > it's
    > internal DVD/CD ROM. It plays movies and DC's great, but do ALL DVD/CD
    > ROM's have the ability to write or burn also? If not.., what to do?

    after all ROM stands for READ ONLY Memory - indicating ROM on the
    motherboard, which transferred over to CD's when they were introduced and
    CD-ROM because originally Data CD's couldn't be written to at all, until CD
    burners were introduced.

    "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Check out the drive specifications correctly! You may have a combo style
    > drive that includes a DVD+RDVD-R burner instead of just a ROM drive. ROM
    > drives do not normally "burn" DVDs/CDs.
    >

    > "81mm" <res0n8e5@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi all.., I'm trying to burn some music I downloaded from Napster to
    >> either DVD+R's or DVD-RW's using Nero 6 on my Gateway 9300 Pro through
    >> it's
    >> internal DVD/CD ROM. It plays movies and DC's great, but do ALL DVD/CD
    >> ROM's have the ability to write or burn also? If not.., what to do?

DVD Burner CD-Rom Windows XP