Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
February 4, 2005 5:47:01 PM

At present I have 2 HD's in my pc: a 6GB which holds all my system progs (XP,
utilities progs etc.) & a 10GB for games, music & such like.
The 6GB is getting a bit crowded to say the least so I've invested in a new
120GB drive.
What I obviously want to do is install this drive into my pc but I'm
wondering how I go about transfering all the files & sys set-up from the 6GB
to the new one. Do I have to copy every single bit of data from the 6GB to
CD-ROM & then transfer it all on to the 120 GB a disk at a time or is there a
much easier way that is staring me in the face?
Please help this nube.
Thanks.

More about : main hard drive

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:17:36 PM

You may want to visit the drive manufacturer's web site. They have utilities
that help you do this and guide you thru.

Try running it before you even install the drive

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Eggenberg4Ever" <spmodea@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> At present I have 2 HD's in my pc: a 6GB which holds all my system progs
(XP,
> utilities progs etc.) & a 10GB for games, music & such like.
> The 6GB is getting a bit crowded to say the least so I've invested in a
new
> 120GB drive.
> What I obviously want to do is install this drive into my pc but I'm
> wondering how I go about transfering all the files & sys set-up from the
6GB
> to the new one. Do I have to copy every single bit of data from the 6GB to
> CD-ROM & then transfer it all on to the 120 GB a disk at a time or is
there a
> much easier way that is staring me in the face?
> Please help this nube.
> Thanks.
February 5, 2005 5:17:25 AM

In news:36C3B71B-1FF1-401A-B250-C82A4F076538@microsoft.com,
Eggenberg4Ever <spmodea@hotmail.com> had this to say:

>Do I have to copy every single bit of data
> from the 6GB to CD-ROM & then transfer it all on to the 120 GB a disk
> at a time or is there a much easier way that is staring me in the
> face?
> Please help this nube.
> Thanks.

In short? Yes. Yes, yes you do. And, yes there is. Each and every iota of
data and even then DLLs may need to be reloaded and the like with some
software. Make sure it's something that runs outside of the operating
system, that will go a long ways towards helping... Personally? I have a
copy of Norton Ghost 2003 that I use for such activities and a good search
for freeware MIGHT turn up something that would do that for you. What this
application does is takes an exact replica of my drive from outside of the
operating system and transfers it entirely to another drive/partition. In
your case you'd take the copy of your drive and put it on the new drive
while it's configured as a slave. You'd then convert it to Master (jumper or
bios or however you select) and it would run exactly the same as it was when
you had the other drive. While this is a bit ahead of the game, when you get
that far you'll want to open up system properties, click on the hardware
tab, click device manager, and under you IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you'll
want to right click the primary IDE channel, select properties, advanced
settings, and select DMA if available. Sometimes XP has been known to not
change that automatically here and I've had to do it manually. It requires a
reboot. I do not know of any freeware applications that will do this for
you. The above post suggested that you check with the drive manufacturer's
site and that's a good place to start. I've been using Ghost 2k3 for my
backup needs for a while now (about three years I imagine) and it's been
very effective. Every few days I reboot and make a complete backup image of
my drive so that all changes are recorded. I suppose I could probably
partition a drive and make multiple snapshots over time but that'd be a lot
like work and the reason I use the program is because it's really very
simple and doesn't require a lot of work. It's easy, effective, and simple.
There are many additional programs that will do this for you so don't take
my usage of a Symantec product as a recommendation of their services. I
usually don't recommend them at all but in this case this is one piece of
software that I couldn't live without. Try the manufacturer's site. If not
try your favorite freeware/shareware site. Find a trial piece of software
too if you'd like. I'm sure that there's an easy (and I hope free) solution
for you.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 5, 2005 6:11:02 AM

OK it's simple.

Buy a Maxtor or Seagate drive - retail version - and you get a free CD with
disk utilities.

These enable you to initialise, partition and format the drive, then 'clone'
the old disk to the new and make the new drive your 'system' or bootable
drive: all via simple prompts and responses.

After which you'll need to reconfigure the syste, however all this is
explained in the user guide that comes with the new drive.

You will then most likely need to perform a repair install to enable Windows
to overcome it's objection to being moved to a bigger and different drive.

If your's is an existing drive, then maybe you can get a download that will
work: or else get Ghost 9 to do a similar thing.

If your copy of Windows is an OEM edition [as sup[plied originally with a
new build PC] then you'll have to buy a full retail version: either Upgrade
Edition or Full Edition. This is because of the tighter restrictions imposed
on the cheaper OEM edition.

"Galen" wrote:

> [...]
> There are many additional programs that will do this for you so don't take
> my usage of a Symantec product as a recommendation of their services. I
> usually don't recommend them at all but in this case this is one piece of
> software that I couldn't live without. Try the manufacturer's site. If not
> try your favorite freeware/shareware site. Find a trial piece of software
> too if you'd like. I'm sure that there's an easy (and I hope free) solution
> for you.
>
> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for

February 5, 2005 10:54:30 PM

Eggenberg4Ever wrote:

>At present I have 2 HD's in my pc: a 6GB which holds all my system progs (XP,
>utilities progs etc.) & a 10GB for games, music & such like.
>The 6GB is getting a bit crowded to say the least so I've invested in a new
>120GB drive.
>What I obviously want to do is install this drive into my pc but I'm
>wondering how I go about transfering all the files & sys set-up from the 6GB
>to the new one.

What I use is BootIT NG, from http://www.BootitNG.com ($35 shareware -
30 day full functional trial)

Download, to its own folder, extract from the zip, run the bootitng to
make a boot floppy.

With the new drive plugged in as slave/secondary, boot the floppy,
Cancel Install, entering maintenance, then click on Partition work.
Highlight your C:,Copy, then on left select the new drive (HD1),
highlight the Free Space in it, and Paste.

You might then well consider a resize up a bit - say 16 GB which
should be comfortable for system and programs if you move the My
Documents folder to the data drive. Leave some free space so as later
to make a new separate partition for that in XP - Control Panel - Admin
Tools - Computer Management, select Disk Management and look lower right
for the graphic of the drive. Right click the Unallocated space and
Create partition -make one or two more

Now click on 'View MBR' and in it highlight the entry for this new C
partition and click the 'Set Active' Click 'Write Standard MBR' and
Apply.

Close out, swap the disks to make the new one the one that boots, and
reboot into XP.

February 7, 2005 5:42:42 AM

"Eggenberg4Ever" <spmodea@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> At present I have 2 HD's in my pc: a 6GB which holds all my system progs
> (XP,
> utilities progs etc.) & a 10GB for games, music & such like.
> The 6GB is getting a bit crowded to say the least so I've invested in a
> new
> 120GB drive.
> What I obviously want to do is install this drive into my pc but I'm
> wondering how I go about transfering all the files & sys set-up from the
> 6GB
> to the new one. Do I have to copy every single bit of data from the 6GB to
> CD-ROM & then transfer it all on to the 120 GB a disk at a time or is
> there a
> much easier way that is staring me in the face?
> Please help this nube.
> Thanks.

You sound as if your PC is rather dated. Are you sure that your new HDD
will
even work with your hardware. You may need a PCI controller card for your
new HDD.