Ethernet to USB conversion is slow..how fix?

When I send data over my home LAN ethernet to a hard drive running on a USB
2.0 its very slow data transfer. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home
LAN to do disk backups and XP sp2 on all machines. The slowness occurs in
the translation from 10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and the CPU is 100% utilized.

Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
translation?

I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.

The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
conversion as the problem.:

PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.

Any thoughts?

bar

Yes there is a card that you could try it's a PCI ethernet NIC. NO
TRANSLATION REQUIRED.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I send data over my home LAN ethernet to a hard drive running on a
> USB 2.0 its very slow data transfer. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired
> home LAN to do disk backups and XP sp2 on all machines. The slowness
> occurs in the translation from 10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and the CPU is
> 100% utilized.
>
> Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
> translation?
>
> I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.
>
> The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
> conversion as the problem.:
>
> PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
> PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
> but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
> very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.
>
> Any thoughts?

You can just plug the USB drive to whichever PC you want. That is the
general idea of external USB drives.

duhhhh!!

that was a stupid answer and not even to the question I asked!