New Motherboard

Paul

Splendid

I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.

My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to
stick to Micro ATX.

Thanks

Paul P

Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly small
case, any atx board shoud fit..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.
>
> My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to
> stick to Micro ATX.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul P

bar

If you replace the motherboard with anything other than another of the exact
make, model and type: you will need to perform a repair installation before
XP will work.

Repair Install to SET XP to New Motherboard
1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and make sure
booting from CD is the first boot option.
2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

Warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable
the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the
firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the
connection you use, Properties, and there is a check box on the advanced
page.

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation. Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP
CD will remove SP1 / SP2: and SP2 will need to be reapplied.

Activation
What happens when you change a motherboard or move a hard drive depends on
the accumulated changes made within a 120 day period since initial
activation. As a precaution the windows\system32\WPA.DBL and WPA.DBL should
be copied to a floppy before doing a repair install.

It also depends on the version of Windows XP intended for the move.

Retail versions of XP
1.Retail versions of XP can be moved from and reinstalled as many times as
you want as long as it is in compliance with the EULA. The EULA states: You
may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a
single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer")

OEM versions of XP
1.OEM versions of XP preinstalled on systems according to the OEM EULA
cannot be transferred to another computer. This is defined in the EULA.
2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to the
original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification], hardware
can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
non-original computer.

For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly small
> case, any atx board shoud fit..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.
> >
> > My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to
> > stick to Micro ATX.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul P

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

He asked about motherboard size - not about reinstalling/repairing Windows.

> [...]
> 2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to the
> original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification],
> hardware
> can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
> non-original computer.
>
> For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly small
>> case, any atx board shoud fit..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.
>> >
>> > My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to

That he did, but if he changes the board type, he will have to do a repair
install.. there is nothing like knowing the full picture before you start
something..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
>> You
>> may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a
>> single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
>> ("Workstation Computer")
>>
>> OEM versions of XP
>> 1.OEM versions of XP preinstalled on systems according to the OEM EULA
>> cannot be transferred to another computer. This is defined in the EULA.
>> 2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to
>> the
>> original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification],
>> hardware
>> can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
>> non-original computer.
>>
>> For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly

Mike,
I'm installing a new motherboard and processor and want to know if the
repair option install will work for me.
I'm swapping out my asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and AMD Athlon 3000+ for a K8N-E
Deluxe and AMD Athlon 64 3400+. Everything else is the same setup just the
CPU and Board are diffiernt, I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows XP Pro
and all my programs if I don't have to.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> as
> >> you want as long as it is in compliance with the EULA. The EULA states:
> >> You
> >> may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a
> >> single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> >> ("Workstation Computer")
> >>
> >> OEM versions of XP
> >> 1.OEM versions of XP preinstalled on systems according to the OEM EULA
> >> cannot be transferred to another computer. This is defined in the EULA.
> >> 2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to
> >> the
> >> original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification],
> >> hardware
> >> can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
> >> non-original computer.
> >>
> >> For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.

This worked for me, once with 2000 and again with XP:
http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html
I also hate to start over and dump my tweaked install just to upgrade
hardware. Matter of fact, I've been running this system since 1999, with
various upgrades and several sets of hardware.

djcgamer wrote:
> Mike,
> I'm installing a new motherboard and processor and want to know if the
> repair option install will work for me.
> I'm swapping out my asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and AMD Athlon 3000+ for a K8N-E
> Deluxe and AMD Athlon 64 3400+. Everything else is the same setup just the
> CPU and Board are diffiernt, I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows XP Pro
> and all my programs if I don't have to.

Paul

Splendid

Thanks to all who replied, i think i have all the info I need

Once again many thanks

Paul

djcgamer wrote:
> Mike,
> I'm installing a new motherboard and processor and want to know if the
> repair option install will work for me.

The repair installation is usually sufficient. I've seen only a couple
of instances over the past 2½ years where the repair failed and a clean
installation was required.

> I'm swapping out my asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and AMD Athlon 3000+ for a K8N-E
> Deluxe and AMD Athlon 64 3400+. Everything else is the same setup just the
> CPU and Board are diffiernt, I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows XP Pro
> and all my programs if I don't have to.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

?????What has this to do with the OP's question??????

> [...]
> 2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to the
> original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification],
> hardware
> can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
> non-original computer.
>
> For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly small
>> case, any atx board shoud fit..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.
>> >
>> > My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to

Mike, you sound like you know about the problem issue I have. I have very
little knowledge. Please be patient with me. I will be brief.

MY HP laptop had MS XP Pro on it. I spilled water on the keyboard and fried
the computer. Best Buy tells me it will cost more to fix the computer to
replace it. I want to salvage the XP Pro but both Microsoft and HP tell me
I'm SOL.

Am I? What are my options? I paid good money for the software -- which did
come installed on the computer with only a "Restore CD" -- and it fries me
that I can't at least salvage the software and use it another computer ...

Any help you or anyone else could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

"BAR" wrote:

> [...]
> cannot be transferred to another computer. This is defined in the EULA.
> 2.OEM versions sold with a piece of hardware are thought to be tied to the
> original computer it is installed on. From the link [clarification], hardware
> can be upgraded and only the change of mother board will qualify as a
> non-original computer.
>
> For clarification: Contact your local Microsoft office.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Micro ATX refers to motherboard size.. unless you have a peculiarly small
> > case, any atx board shoud fit..
> >
> > --
> > Mike Hall
> > MVP - Windows Shell/user
> >
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I want to upgrade my motherboard but need a bit of info.
> > >
> > > My current system has a Micro ATX. Can I install a ATX or do I need to

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Sorry, but you cannot salvage an OEM version of
> Windows XP. It's license is tied directly to the very
> first computer it was installed on. Since HP has
> installed a BIOS-lock feature in their customized
> version of Windows XP, you'll never get it to activate
> on a different computer. In other words, when your
> HP computer died, so did the HP license for Windows XP.

Sounds like a good reason to stay away from HP computers Compact
probably too.

Rick