CD-ROM Woes

Like others here, I have been having a CD-ROM issue with Windows XP
SP2. I have a basic vanilla Lite-On CD-ROM player (not burner) running
as a slave to a Plextor PX-708A DVD Burner. It used to be I got
intermittent reading of the CD-ROM player but now I get no response
from the CD-ROM whatsoever. It whirs and loads but usually the system
freezes soon after. I have icons for both the CD and the DVD and I can
read data and programs just fine from the DVD burner.

I have Norton Utilities 2005 and the burner is Roxio Easy Media
Creator 7. I ran Microsoft Auto Fix with the CD drive in question and
got:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2005-02-05 12:56:23]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance
[N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [F:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [F:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device
is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Now, I'm at the end of my rope with this. The Device Manager says it
is working fine although it calls it and the DVD-ROM drive "SCSI"
devices although they are plugged into the IDE ports on the
motherboard. Anyway, the DVD works okay. Nor do I get any code errors
with the CD-ROM, it just doesn't work.

I did go the regedit route and found the
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key and found for Lower Filters:
Type: REG_MULTI-ZA Data: PxHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
It has the same filed backed up (with a .bak extension)

The Upper Filters:
Type REG_MULTI-SZ Data incdrm InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
It too has another file with the .bak extension.

I haven't done anything yet but this problem is driving me nuts.
Thanks for any help...

Neal, did you try the Lite-On on another PC? Or try it as Master
temporarily removing the Dvd Burner. Lite-On's have been very unreliable for
me. But for others they work great.
"Neal Lavon" <nlavon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Like others here, I have been having a CD-ROM issue with Windows XP
> SP2. I have a basic vanilla Lite-On CD-ROM player (not burner) running
> as a slave to a Plextor PX-708A DVD Burner. It used to be I got
> intermittent reading of the CD-ROM player but now I get no response
> from the CD-ROM whatsoever. It whirs and loads but usually the system
> freezes soon after. I have icons for both the CD and the DVD and I can
> read data and programs just fine from the DVD burner.
>
> I have Norton Utilities 2005 and the burner is Roxio Easy Media
> Creator 7. I ran Microsoft Auto Fix with the CD drive in question and
> got:
>

> AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
> Time [2005-02-05 12:56:23]
> Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]
>
> Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance
> [N/A]:
> Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
> Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK
>
> Test [Policies] - Instance [F:\, Drive Type: 5]:
> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
> Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
> HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
> HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
> HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
> HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }
>
> Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [F:\, Drive Type: 5]:
> Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
> Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
> Service (Silent)
> Shell (Deaf) }
> >> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
> Step: No steps to take.
> Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device
> is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>
>>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None
>
> Now, I'm at the end of my rope with this. The Device Manager says it
> is working fine although it calls it and the DVD-ROM drive "SCSI"
> devices although they are plugged into the IDE ports on the
> motherboard. Anyway, the DVD works okay. Nor do I get any code errors
> with the CD-ROM, it just doesn't work.
>
> I did go the regedit route and found the
> 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key and found for Lower Filters:
> Type: REG_MULTI-ZA Data: PxHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
> It has the same filed backed up (with a .bak extension)
>
> The Upper Filters:
> Type REG_MULTI-SZ Data incdrm InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
> It too has another file with the .bak extension.
>
> I haven't done anything yet but this problem is driving me nuts.
> Thanks for any help...

I haven't tried it on another PC or switched them. Perhaps I'll give
that a shot. But the same thing has happened with other CDs in there,
so I'm not so sure it's the brand. There's some driver glitch that's
causing this but I can't figure out what it is. Thanks for the reply.

Neal Lavon