Sidewinder USB Adapter

February 5, 2005 8:41:09 PM

I have an old Sidewinder game pad with the 15-pin port. I got a Belkin USB
adapter from amazon.com that says it is specifically for the sidewinder, but
when I plug it in, my computer says that the USB device is not recognized.
I'm running XP, what can I do to make this work? Thanks!

More about : sidewinder usb adapter

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:40:16 AM

Try Start>Control Panel>Game Controllers>Add>Sidewinder
"Kocher" <Kocher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an old Sidewinder game pad with the 15-pin port. I got a Belkin USB
> adapter from amazon.com that says it is specifically for the sidewinder,
> but
> when I plug it in, my computer says that the USB device is not recognized.
> I'm running XP, what can I do to make this work? Thanks!
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:52:44 AM

Hi Kocher,

That was probably a little misleading. There were some Sidewinder
devices that had USB support. I am not sure if your Belkin device is meant
to replace these or if they are meant to convert a gameport device to USB.
If it is meant as a replacement then your device had to originally support
USB. If it is meant as a converter then it is only going to work for analog
devices, or digital devices that are capable of operating analog such as the
Sidewinder 3d Pro. It doesn't sound like your device falls into either
category. On the other hand you can probably find a true USB device for $20
or so. May even cost the same as the adapter you purchased. The Add...
button in the Game Controllers applet is only for adding devices to a
gameport. USB devices are always Plug and Play.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab
Microsoft
-----