No Power

Just upgraded to a MSI KT6V tonight. I moved my AMD 1600+ xp CPU over
to it and set up all the jumpersand plugged in wires as they should
be. When I plugged it in and pressed the power button, nothing
happened, not even a fan moved. Of course I made sure the power
supply was plugged in and turned on.

This is the same case that was working 2 hours earlier. Same with the
CPU and video card.

How should I go about checking this problem out?

"Russ" <rmoorhou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded to a MSI KT6V tonight. I moved my AMD 1600+ xp CPU over
> to it and set up all the jumpersand plugged in wires as they should
> be. When I plugged it in and pressed the power button, nothing
> happened, not even a fan moved. Of course I made sure the power
> supply was plugged in and turned on.
>
> This is the same case that was working 2 hours earlier. Same with the
> CPU and video card.
>
> How should I go about checking this problem out?

You could start by double checking that the front panel power switch wires
are plugged-into the correct jumper on the MB - it's easy to make a mistake
as there are many pins in that area - best to use a torch to check it.
Also try re-seating the main power cable plug onto the MB to ensure it is
all making a good connection.

Dave

A fairly common problem that many eventually have to solve. Here is
my procedure:

You key symptom is that no power is getting to your CPU/chipset fans
and case fans, if they are connected.

==check cord connections from computer to power inlet plug.
==motherboard is tested out of case (prevents grounding problems with
case structures).
==make sure that the main rear toggle switch on power supply is set
correctly (toggle back and forth to test out).
==double check solid seating of both power connectors and by this I
mean the main ATX (20 pin)and ATX Auxiliary Connectors (6-pin
Molex-type).
==check case switch power source wire/connector is connected
properly to the motherboard pin receptacle (red color is +5V and black
is usually ground). You may need to switch these around.
==Finally, you can check the power supply for proper output. In order
to do this you must test and measure (a simple digital meter) with
everything connected. Ground one probe to the chassis and the other
to pin 8 on an ATX-type connector (usually the gray Power-Good Pin)
for +3v to + 6v of power). If you do not get this range of
measurement, or none at all, then the power supply is bad. Make sure
that the pins of the ATX-type connector are solid and not sloppy in
their white receptacle. I have seen some bad QC in this area.

As a secondary backup procedure. Take everything out that is
connected to something and re-install.

Take your time, work slowly and observe the fine details.

Good luck,
pas

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:23:13 +0000 (UTC), "logized"
<no-one@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Russ" <rmoorhou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Just upgraded to a MSI KT6V tonight. I moved my AMD 1600+ xp CPU over
>> to it and set up all the jumpersand plugged in wires as they should
>> be. When I plugged it in and pressed the power button, nothing
>> happened, not even a fan moved. Of course I made sure the power
>> supply was plugged in and turned on.
>>
>> This is the same case that was working 2 hours earlier. Same with the
>> CPU and video card.
>>
>> How should I go about checking this problem out?
>
>You could start by double checking that the front panel power switch wires
>are plugged-into the correct jumper on the MB - it's easy to make a mistake
>as there are many pins in that area - best to use a torch to check it.
>Also try re-seating the main power cable plug onto the MB to ensure it is
>all making a good connection.
>
>Dave

mark

I believe this board has the 4pin connector for the cpu power...is it
plugged in???

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"Russ" <rmoorhou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded to a MSI KT6V tonight. I moved my AMD 1600+ xp CPU over
> to it and set up all the jumpersand plugged in wires as they should
> be. When I plugged it in and pressed the power button, nothing
> happened, not even a fan moved. Of course I made sure the power
> supply was plugged in and turned on.
>
> This is the same case that was working 2 hours earlier. Same with the
> CPU and video card.
>
> How should I go about checking this problem out?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

It seems like every time I turn up a new board I have a bad IDE or
floppy cable, which will also cause the symptoms you have.

TRENDING THREADS