Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi. When working at home, I use a secondary monitor with my laptop
onto which I extend the desktop for max. real estate. Prior to
shutting down, I close out all apps, of course, but I might leave the
windows of one or two programs displayed on the second monitor when I
close out those programs (I don't move those windows back to the
primary monitor).

When I startup my laptop at work w/o the second monitor and try to open
a program that was previously displayed on the second monitor, I can
see that open program in the task bar at the bottom, but the program's
window isn't displayed on my laptop's screen. Minimize/maximize
doesn't help. It's like the program still tries to display its window
on the second monitor. Even if I disable the second monitor while at
home before shutting down, the window of any program that I close out
while displayed on the second monitor behaves this way when I startup
w/o the second monitor connected.

Is the only solution to move all windows back to the primary monitor
before shutting down (a minor hassle), or is there something else that
oculd be done to get these programs to know when the second monitor
is/isn't connected to my laptop.

Thanks for any help.

pjp wrote:
> On the taskbar, right click on the program and choose "Move". The
"trick" is
> to use the arrow leys to move the window and NOT your mouse. Had same

> problem as I use dual displays all the time before read it somewhere,
it
> works.

Dude...thanks!

pjp wrote:
> On the taskbar, right click on the program and choose "Move". The
"trick" is
> to use the arrow leys to move the window and NOT your mouse. Had same

> problem as I use dual displays all the time before read it somewhere,
it
> works.

OK, if the windows was maximized on the 2nd monitor when closed, the
"Move" selection is disabled when I start up again and open that
program with only one monitor. The only enabled options are "Minimize"
and "Maximize". Any solutions in this case, or should just make sure
the window is not maximized on the 2nd window when closing it?