Optional SP2 update trashed computer.

I recently installed an HP DVD-RW in my wife's desktop AMD XP computer. I
had no prior difficulties with the computer but could not get the digital
sound to work when playing a DVD movie. I read and tried the FAQ
suggestions from HP and the DVD Player program with no solution. I then
checked Windows update and found 3 optional driver updates for the On-board
Audio, Video and Telephone Modem. I downloaded and installed the updates
and now have lost all access to the CDR-W the DVDR-W all audio and several
USB devices. The device manager is a mess of yellow dots with exclamation
marks and disabled devices. I have no internet access since it is a now
disabled cordless USB device. What a gadawful mess! I've tried system
restore going back several weeks to no avail as it won't undo the changes
that screwed everything up to begin with. I can't do a system backup or
restore of many Gigs of essential data since both optical drives are now non
functional. Can anyone help me out of this mess? her computer has been
down for nearly a week now due to not wanting to lose important data by
re-installing the operating system and software.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Frank

bar

Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

Insert the XP installation Disk and boot off the CD.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. Do not go to Recovery Console.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your
applications and settings will remain intact.

Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP
firewall before connecting to the internet.

You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network
Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties, and there is a
check box on the advanced page.

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation: don't apply SP1 because SP2 is a full roll up.

"Frank Pecenka" wrote:

> I recently installed an HP DVD-RW in my wife's desktop AMD XP computer. I
> had no prior difficulties with the computer but could not get the digital
> sound to work when playing a DVD movie. I read and tried the FAQ
> suggestions from HP and the DVD Player program with no solution. I then
> checked Windows update and found 3 optional driver updates for the On-board
> Audio, Video and Telephone Modem. I downloaded and installed the updates
> and now have lost all access to the CDR-W the DVDR-W all audio and several
> USB devices. The device manager is a mess of yellow dots with exclamation
> marks and disabled devices. I have no internet access since it is a now
> disabled cordless USB device. What a gadawful mess! I've tried system
> restore going back several weeks to no avail as it won't undo the changes
> that screwed everything up to begin with. I can't do a system backup or
> restore of many Gigs of essential data since both optical drives are now non
> functional. Can anyone help me out of this mess? her computer has been
> down for nearly a week now due to not wanting to lose important data by
> re-installing the operating system and software.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Frank

bar

I forgot to add:

Repair Installation does not affect installed applications nor does it
delete any user created folders / files and data.