New Processor

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2004 4:55:31 PM

I have a MS-5191 Version 1.1 Motherboard with an AMD-K6(tm) 3D Processor -
500 Mhz. I want to upgrade to a better processor. Anybody have any
suggestions as to what is compatible with my motherboard.

More about : processor

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2004 5:06:17 PM

Bry wrote:
> I have a MS-5191 Version 1.1 Motherboard with an AMD-K6(tm) 3D
> Processor - 500 Mhz. I want to upgrade to a better processor.
> Anybody have any suggestions as to what is compatible with my
> motherboard.

Your board is practically maxed out already. I'm guessing the max you could
go is 550MHz-I think that was the largest.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 12:40:35 AM

yup new system time!!!!
"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message news:10hv60jmc0na9f6@corp.supernews.com...

> Bry wrote:
>> I have a MS-5191 Version 1.1 Motherboard with an AMD-K6(tm) 3D
>> Processor - 500 Mhz. I want to upgrade to a better processor.
>> Anybody have any suggestions as to what is compatible with my
>> motherboard.
>
> Your board is practically maxed out already. I'm guessing the max you
> could
> go is 550MHz-I think that was the largest.

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2004 12:44:23 PM

There is a K6-III with 256/512kB on chip L2 cache at 450 MHz that works
three times faster than K6-II at 550MHz (has no L2 cache).
But!!! You won't get any for a normal price. So try buying a new system.
You'll be surprised how systems are fast novadays...

"Kirby & Christine" <thompson2345@rogers.com> wrote in message
> yup new system time!!!!
> "neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
> >

> > Bry wrote:
> >> I have a MS-5191 Version 1.1 Motherboard with an AMD-K6(tm) 3D
> >> Processor - 500 Mhz. I want to upgrade to a better processor.
> >> Anybody have any suggestions as to what is compatible with my
> >> motherboard.
> >
> > Your board is practically maxed out already. I'm guessing the max you
> > could
> > go is 550MHz-I think that was the largest.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 10:03:10 AM

John is correct, you could buy a K6-III+ 450 CPU and overclock it to 600MHz
easily in most cases, but they are hard-to-find and overpriced. You would
get a much better performance boost for your money going to an AMD Socket A
(Athlon XP)-based system; and you can put one together very inexpensively
now.
Robert

!