Updating bios (beginners questions)

Hi

Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
you will see.

I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.

I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
Mainboard (Motherboard?)

But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?

I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was already
installed at the time of manufacture.

Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
nothing else.

Am I right to think that this updated flash (driver) will be of no use to me
with my XP Professional OE?

Thanks

Dave Neve wrote:
> Hi
>
> Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
> you will see.
>
> I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
> drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.

Why? Are you experiencing problems that these planned updates are
specifically designed to fix? If not, leave it alone.

> I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
> Mainboard (Motherboard?)

Don't proceed until you are absolutely, 100%,
beyond-all-shadow-of-doubt positive that you've correctly identified the
motherboard.

> But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?

The BIOS version will display on the monitor, briefly, during the
boot-up process. Also, many motherboard manufacturers provide utilities
on their web sites for use in identifying BIOS revisions. Additionally,
one or more of these utilities should be able to enlighten you:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

> I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was already
> installed at the time of manufacture.

No, the correct sentence should be: "I don't want to risk flashing my
BIOS unless I know it's necessary to fix a specific problem I'm
experiencing."

> Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
> nothing else.

So why are you even considering it?

> Am I right to think that this updated flash (driver) will be of no use to me
> with my XP Professional OE?

No BIOS flash upgrade that I've ever heard of can possibly affect
Outlook Express, regardless of the operating system. Again, if you are
not experiencing a problem that the newer BIOS revision is designed to
fix, then all you'll be doing is running the risk of rendering your
computer useless, for absolutely no purpose.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Download a prog like Belarc Advisor or Everest - they're free..
Running it gives you a detailedreport on yr pc's hardware and software..

Extract from Belarc report for my pc, example of BIOS report-

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266-E REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1006 01/23/2002

Your report will identify your BIOS and revision. Comparing with update data
determines whether you need to update.

If you do, use the BIOS update, it's the latest. Millenium reference is
good for Millenium and later, until/unless a newer update is released.
Millenium update is more current than the previous BIOS, therefore more
relevant to XP.

Hope this helps, Len.

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
> you will see.
>
> I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
> drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.
>
> I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
> Mainboard (Motherboard?)
>
> But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?
>
> I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was
> already installed at the time of manufacture.
>
> Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
> nothing else.
>
> Am I right to think that this updated flash (driver) will be of no use to
> me with my XP Professional OE?
>
> Thanks

bar

Unless there is an absolute necessity to update the BIOS don't try.

If you are a beginner, this process can result in your Mobo becoming useless.

Enlist the aid of an experienced user and do this update, again only if
absolutely necessary.

"yabbadoo" wrote:

> Download a prog like Belarc Advisor or Everest - they're free..
> Running it gives you a detailedreport on yr pc's hardware and software..
>
> Extract from Belarc report for my pc, example of BIOS report-
>
> Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266-E REV 1.xx
> Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
> BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1006 01/23/2002
>
> Your report will identify your BIOS and revision. Comparing with update data
> determines whether you need to update.
>
> If you do, use the BIOS update, it's the latest. Millenium reference is
> good for Millenium and later, until/unless a newer update is released.
> Millenium update is more current than the previous BIOS, therefore more
> relevant to XP.
>
> Hope this helps, Len.
>
> "Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
> > you will see.
> >
> > I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
> > drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.
> >
> > I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
> > Mainboard (Motherboard?)
> >
> > But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?
> >
> > I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was
> > already installed at the time of manufacture.
> >
> > Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
> > nothing else.
> >
> > Am I right to think that this updated flash (driver) will be of no use to
> > me with my XP Professional OE?
> >
> > Thanks

I've blown up a perfectly good machine by flashing the BIOS. My rescue was
to buy a pre-flashed BIOS chip from here: http://www.upgradestore.co.uk/

--
####################
## PH, London
"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
> you will see.
>
> I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
> drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.
>
> I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
> Mainboard (Motherboard?)
>
> But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?
>
> I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was
> already installed at the time of manufacture.
>
> Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
> nothing else.
>
> Am I right to think that this updated flash (driver) will be of no use to
> me with my XP Professional OE?
>
> Thanks

Hi

Thanks everyone.

I've decided 'better safe than sorry' as the flash only offers one
improvement and that was for Millenium (remains to be seen if it would
rectify a similar problem in XP)

I have updated my Chipset driver and my heart is still beating from the fear
of crashing my system but it seems to be ok.

Thanks anyway
news: ODNmdZEDFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Dave Neve wrote:

>Although I am ok on using programs, I don't have an idea about hardware as
>you will see.
>
>I would like to update some of the trickier parts of my computer with new
>drivers for the Bios, Chipset etc.
>
>I think I have managed to locate the correct flash for my Micro-Star 6318
>Mainboard (Motherboard?)
>
>But how can I know which version was installed at the time of manufacture?

get the free Everest Home edition from
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
which is an excellent general System Info tool, and its Motherboard -
Bios - Bios Properties will tell you

>I don't want to risk flashing my mainboard if the latest version was already
>installed at the time of manufacture.
>
>Also, the updated version talks of just one improvement for Millenium and
>nothing else.

Unless you have real reason to believe the BIOS is not working (eg needs
upgrading to handle a big hard drive you are buying) I would leave it.
Once XP has loaded it makes hardly any use of the BIOS at all

Dave, I use several resources. One of them instructed me to update my BIOS,
which I did, without problem (3 year old pc, pre-installed XP).
Belarc Advisor and Everest are static report tools, and recommended by MVP's
in this ng.

You can get a comprehensive on-line dynamic test of your pc's core functions
(and tips/recommendations/links to improvement and missing patches based on
the results. specific to YOUR pc) from www.pcpitstop.com . Do read the
entire report, not just the summary. NB - it's free.

If your system is working without problem, I agree that "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" (concensus of most replies) unless you are advised to do so by
a reputable source or analysis. I assumed this to be the case in your
situation.

Hope this helps and clarifies! Sincerely, Len.