New N/Bridge Fan

Hi,

We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them, over
the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.

I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried cleaning
the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't helped much.

I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay, is
there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are there
any other suggestions to follow first.

Cheers.

"NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them, over
> the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.
>
> I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried cleaning
> the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't helped much.
>
> I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay, is
> there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are there
> any other suggestions to follow first.

Remove fan from heatsink, turn over, peel off label, apply blob of 3-in-1 or
similar oil, refit label, refit fan.

Hellraiser..........>

On 8/15/2004 11:56 AM NDF brightened our day with:

>Hi,
>
>We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them, over
>the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.
>
>I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried cleaning
>the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't helped much.
>
>I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay, is
>there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are there
>any other suggestions to follow first.
>
>Cheers.

chipset fans are available all over the place, I put a vantec iceberq on
my northbridge.
http://www.casetech.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1004

--
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Steve [Inglo]

"Hellraiser" <hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them, over
>> the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.
>>
>> I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried
>> cleaning the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't
>> helped much.
>>
>> I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay, is
>> there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are there
>> any other suggestions to follow first.
>
> Remove fan from heatsink, turn over, peel off label, apply blob of 3-in-1
> or similar oil, refit label, refit fan.
>
> Hellraiser..........>

Would this not then leak onto the board ?

> "Hellraiser" <hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them,
>>> over the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.
>>>
>>> I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried
>>> cleaning the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't
>>> helped much.
>>>
>>> I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay,
>>> is there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are
>>> there any other suggestions to follow first.
>>
>> Remove fan from heatsink, turn over, peel off label, apply blob of 3-in-1
>> or similar oil, refit label, refit fan.
>>
>> Hellraiser..........>
>>

> Would this not then leak onto the board ?

How? One blob, worked into the bearing by rotating the fan a few times, and
wiping off the excess? I've done it with loads of them in the past and it
works a treat - usually lasts 6-12 months before needing re-doing.

Hellraiser.........>

"NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have 2 computers which have K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboards in them, over
> the last few months both PC's have become very noisy at Power On.
>
> I suspect that this is the NorthBridge Fans on them, I have tried cleaning
> the blades on the fan with an Air Duster Can, but this hasn't helped much.
>
> I don't want to RMA the boards to MSI as this would result in a delay, is
> there a Fan I could purchase in the UK that would do the job or are there
> any other suggestions to follow first.
>
> Cheers.

All sorted, I called MSI and asked if they could send me 2 new fan kits and
they have agreed.