DVD Drivers - Does XP SP2 Cause the problems ??

February 6, 2005 8:53:02 AM

I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The CD
drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
The problem appears to be random.
Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
on-off switch to boot up.
I cant understand what is going on.
I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this as
there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 7, 2005 12:09:47 AM

Did u try replacing the CMOS battery?

>I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
> Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
> Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The
> CD
> drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
> The problem appears to be random.
> Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
> on-off switch to boot up.
> I cant understand what is going on.
> I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
> scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this
> as
> there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??
February 7, 2005 12:09:48 AM

No, but I thought the battery would affect the date and time if it was
running down.

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" wrote:

> Did u try replacing the CMOS battery?

March 30, 2005 10:01:04 PM

Sorry, I don't have an answer yet, but SAME problem. I will let U know when
I find a cure... but I've contacted EVERY computer expert I know with no
results. I installed SP2 about 3 weeks ago (after seeing error every time I
opened computer) and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will try
to uninstall the program and see what happens. Please contact
catkiss68@cox.net

"Ade" wrote:

> I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
> Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
> Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The CD
> drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
> The problem appears to be random.
> Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
> on-off switch to boot up.
> I cant understand what is going on.
> I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
> scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this as
> there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??
March 31, 2005 7:04:51 PM

Check to see if you have any 'alien' CD or DVD tools installed. EG Alcohol
120%, any of the CD ripper or other software. If you have Partition Magic
installed consider removing that.

If you are fluent with the registry, check to see if you have any GearSec or
GearASPI drivers. Look in Device Manager and check to see if you have any
weird controllers EG SCSI controllers that do not relate to any controllers
installed in the system. Any of these being present indicates IME Gear
device drivers that in the past have caused these issues for me. The best
solution is to deinstall the software that installed the drivers, get things
going, check for updates for the s/w and ask your self if you really need
that software.

My symptoms were: assigned drive letters disappeared. Drive letters would
not assign. Devices would not work. DVD corruptions (brand new with latest
Nero) etc. etc.

- Tim

"Sam Jones" <SamJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I don't have an answer yet, but SAME problem. I will let U know
> when
> I find a cure... but I've contacted EVERY computer expert I know with no
> results. I installed SP2 about 3 weeks ago (after seeing error every
> time I
> opened computer) and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will
> try
> to uninstall the program and see what happens. Please contact
> catkiss68@cox.net
>
> "Ade" wrote:
>
>> I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
>> Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
>> Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The
>> CD
>> drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
>> The problem appears to be random.
>> Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
>> on-off switch to boot up.
>> I cant understand what is going on.
>> I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
>> scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this
>> as
>> there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??
March 31, 2005 7:04:52 PM

Tim wrote:

> Check to see if you have any 'alien' CD or DVD tools installed. EG Alcohol
> 120%, any of the CD ripper or other software. If you have Partition Magic
> installed consider removing that.
>
> If you are fluent with the registry, check to see if you have any GearSec or
> GearASPI drivers. Look in Device Manager and check to see if you have any
> weird controllers EG SCSI controllers that do not relate to any controllers
> installed in the system. Any of these being present indicates IME Gear
> device drivers that in the past have caused these issues for me. The best
> solution is to deinstall the software that installed the drivers, get things
> going, check for updates for the s/w and ask your self if you really need
> that software.
>
> My symptoms were: assigned drive letters disappeared. Drive letters would
> not assign. Devices would not work. DVD corruptions (brand new with latest
> Nero) etc. etc.
>
> - Tim

In summary, you're saying most third-party CD and DVD tools are
incompatible with XP. Based on my (not inconsiderable) experience in
this area, I agree.

I tried all available updates, then purged software that still caused
problems, but that left me unable to back up most games (my kids are
constantly loosing CDs or leaving them at the cottage) or build some
types of bootable CD.

My solution is to keep an NT4 installation available and boot it for
most CD and DVD burning tasks.

ASPI had similar issues back in the mid nineties, but they eventually
got sorted out for the most part. XP ditched ASPI in favour of MMC -
it's a vastly superior API, but requires significant application
redevelopment, which is why third parties keep trying to shoehorn ASPI
into XP. It will be a while yet before third party developers catch up
so end users can see benefits instead of headaches.

Mind you, I'm still hoping someone will develop a truly XP compatible
ASPI layer - that would restore my Plextor SCSI drives to full
functionality.

Sunny

> "Sam Jones" <SamJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry, I don't have an answer yet, but SAME problem. I will let U know
>>when
>>I find a cure... but I've contacted EVERY computer expert I know with no
>>results. I installed SP2 about 3 weeks ago (after seeing error every
>>time I
>>opened computer) and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will
>>try
>>to uninstall the program and see what happens. Please contact
>>catkiss68@cox.net
>>
>>"Ade" wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
>>>Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
>>>Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The
>>>CD
>>>drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
>>>The problem appears to be random.
>>>Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
>>>on-off switch to boot up.
>>>I cant understand what is going on.
>>>I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
>>>scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this
>>>as
>>>there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 31, 2005 8:17:23 PM

Sunny Wrote:
> [...]
> Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with
> this.
> Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then,
> The
> CD
> drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
> The problem appears to be random.
> Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press
> the
> on-off switch to boot up.
> I cant understand what is going on.
> I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run
> weekly
> scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused
> this
> as
> there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??--

Check for firmware updates for your drives. I did yesterday for my two
Lite-On drives and was surprised to find updates for both drives! The
reason posted for the updates: so the drives would read/write to more
file types.
Dunno, maybe it will help.
Treeman

--
Treeman
March 31, 2005 11:58:30 PM

Treeman wrote:

> [...]
>>CD
>>drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
>>The problem appears to be random.
>>Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press
>>the
>>on-off switch to boot up.
>>I cant understand what is going on.
>>I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run
>>weekly
>>scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused
>>this
>>as
>>there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??--
>>

>>-
>

> Check for firmware updates for your drives. I did yesterday for my two
> Lite-On drives and was surprised to find updates for both drives! The
> reason posted for the updates: so the drives would read/write to more

Unfortunately Plextor has officially stated they won't be developing MMC
compliant firmware for my SCSI drives.

Sunny
!