    From: "Ade" <Ade@discussions.microsoft.com>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:23 PM
    Subject: DVD Drivers - Does XP SP2 Cause the problems ??

    >I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
    > Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
    > Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The
    > CD
    > drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
    > The problem appears to be random.
    > Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
    > on-off switch to boot up.
    > I cant understand what is going on.
    > I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
    > scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this
    > as
    > there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??

    No, but I thought the battery would affect the date and time if it was
    running down.

    "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" wrote:

    > Did u try replacing the CMOS battery?

    Sorry, I don't have an answer yet, but SAME problem. I will let U know when
    I find a cure... but I've contacted EVERY computer expert I know with no
    results. I installed SP2 about 3 weeks ago (after seeing error every time I
    opened computer) and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will try
    to uninstall the program and see what happens. Please contact
    catkiss68@cox.net

    "Ade" wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer DVD player and a CD rom (Philips) Read Writer.
    > Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with this.
    > Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then, The CD
    > drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
    > The problem appears to be random.
    > Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press the
    > on-off switch to boot up.
    > I cant understand what is going on.
    > I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run weekly
    > scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused this as
    > there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??

    Check to see if you have any 'alien' CD or DVD tools installed. EG Alcohol
    120%, any of the CD ripper or other software. If you have Partition Magic
    installed consider removing that.

    If you are fluent with the registry, check to see if you have any GearSec or
    GearASPI drivers. Look in Device Manager and check to see if you have any
    weird controllers EG SCSI controllers that do not relate to any controllers
    installed in the system. Any of these being present indicates IME Gear
    device drivers that in the past have caused these issues for me. The best
    solution is to deinstall the software that installed the drivers, get things
    going, check for updates for the s/w and ask your self if you really need
    that software.

    My symptoms were: assigned drive letters disappeared. Drive letters would
    not assign. Devices would not work. DVD corruptions (brand new with latest
    Nero) etc. etc.

    - Tim

    Tim wrote:

    > Check to see if you have any 'alien' CD or DVD tools installed. EG Alcohol
    > 120%, any of the CD ripper or other software. If you have Partition Magic
    > installed consider removing that.
    >
    > If you are fluent with the registry, check to see if you have any GearSec or
    > GearASPI drivers. Look in Device Manager and check to see if you have any
    > weird controllers EG SCSI controllers that do not relate to any controllers
    > installed in the system. Any of these being present indicates IME Gear
    > device drivers that in the past have caused these issues for me. The best
    > solution is to deinstall the software that installed the drivers, get things
    > going, check for updates for the s/w and ask your self if you really need
    > that software.
    >
    > My symptoms were: assigned drive letters disappeared. Drive letters would
    > not assign. Devices would not work. DVD corruptions (brand new with latest
    > Nero) etc. etc.
    >
    > - Tim

    In summary, you're saying most third-party CD and DVD tools are
    incompatible with XP. Based on my (not inconsiderable) experience in
    this area, I agree.

    I tried all available updates, then purged software that still caused
    problems, but that left me unable to back up most games (my kids are
    constantly loosing CDs or leaving them at the cottage) or build some
    types of bootable CD.

    My solution is to keep an NT4 installation available and boot it for
    most CD and DVD burning tasks.

    ASPI had similar issues back in the mid nineties, but they eventually
    got sorted out for the most part. XP ditched ASPI in favour of MMC -
    it's a vastly superior API, but requires significant application
    redevelopment, which is why third parties keep trying to shoehorn ASPI
    into XP. It will be a while yet before third party developers catch up
    so end users can see benefits instead of headaches.

    Mind you, I'm still hoping someone will develop a truly XP compatible
    ASPI layer - that would restore my Plextor SCSI drives to full
    functionality.

    Sunny

    Sunny Wrote:
> [...]
    > Shortly after installing SP2 I have found continued problems with
    > this.
    > Often the drivers are missing. The DVD player is found now and then,
    > The
    > CD
    > drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
    > The problem appears to be random.
    > Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press
    > the
    > on-off switch to boot up.
    > I cant understand what is going on.
    > I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run
    > weekly
    > scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused
    > this
    > as
    > there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??--

    Check for firmware updates for your drives. I did yesterday for my two
    Lite-On drives and was surprised to find updates for both drives! The
    reason posted for the updates: so the drives would read/write to more
    file types.
    Dunno, maybe it will help.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Treeman wrote:

> [...]
    >>CD
    >>drivers have only been found a couple of times in the last two months.
    >>The problem appears to be random.
    >>Often I am forced into the BIOS screens at bootup and have to press
    >>the
    >>on-off switch to boot up.
    >>I cant understand what is going on.
    >>I have Norton Antivirus on all the time and always update and run
    >>weekly
    >>scans - no virus found. CAn anyone help - is it SP2 that has caused
    >>this
    >>as
    >>there seems to be many complaints about drivers here ??--
    >>

    >>-
    >

    > Check for firmware updates for your drives. I did yesterday for my two
    > Lite-On drives and was surprised to find updates for both drives! The
    > reason posted for the updates: so the drives would read/write to more

    Unfortunately Plextor has officially stated they won't be developing MMC
    compliant firmware for my SCSI drives.

    Sunny

Drivers DVD Players Windows XP