MSI K8T-NEO FIS2R and disk access case light question

Hi and thanks very much in advance for any assistance...

I just put together a new system and everything is working beautifully
except that my HDD access light on the front of the case is not working.
Actually I know it works because I plugged it into the power LED plugs
on JFP1 and the light itself works so I'm trying to find out why it
doesn't illuminate when the HDD works.

I have the plug from the light plugged into pins 1 & 3 on JFP1 as per
the manual but as I've said, nothing happens. The power LED is plugged
into 1 & 5 on JFP2 and works perfectly so I trust the manual.
I have a Maxtor SATA 200 gig drive connected to SATA1 on the mother
board and its working like a demon so I'm thinking something in the bios
perhaps. I wouldn't imagine there would be a jumper for anything like
this at all...

Do I need to ensure that any bios settings are intact? I only have my
DVD/CD ROM drive listed in the Standard CMOS Features (Secondary IDE
Master) but there is no sign of the HDD in any of the menus although the
PATA and SATA-IDE controllers are both enabled in Integrated
Peripherals?

If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I'd sure appreciate it,
thanks again!

"DeRanger" <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi and thanks very much in advance for any assistance...
>
> I just put together a new system and everything is working beautifully
> except that my HDD access light on the front of the case is not working.
> Actually I know it works because I plugged it into the power LED plugs
> on JFP1 and the light itself works so I'm trying to find out why it
> doesn't illuminate when the HDD works.
>
> I have the plug from the light plugged into pins 1 & 3 on JFP1 as per
> the manual but as I've said, nothing happens. The power LED is plugged
> into 1 & 5 on JFP2 and works perfectly so I trust the manual.
> I have a Maxtor SATA 200 gig drive connected to SATA1 on the mother
> board and its working like a demon so I'm thinking something in the bios
> perhaps. I wouldn't imagine there would be a jumper for anything like
> this at all...
>
> Do I need to ensure that any bios settings are intact? I only have my
> DVD/CD ROM drive listed in the Standard CMOS Features (Secondary IDE
> Master) but there is no sign of the HDD in any of the menus although the
> PATA and SATA-IDE controllers are both enabled in Integrated
> Peripherals?
>
> If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I'd sure appreciate it,
> thanks again!

i presume you've tried it on the opposite way round ?

In article <cfr751$evk$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk says...
> i presume you've tried it on the opposite way round ?

Yep, both ways.

DeRanger <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in

[snip]
> I have a Maxtor SATA 200 gig drive connected to SATA1 on the mother
> board and its working like a demon so I'm thinking something in the
> bios perhaps.
[snip]
The Problem is the sata-controller, it doesn support this feature.
This means that there will be no light flashing when your disk works.
> If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I'd sure appreciate it,
> thanks again!

NP.
Tareq

On 17 Aug 2004 12:52:13 GMT, Tareq Djamous wrote:

> DeRanger <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in
>
> [snip]
>> I have a Maxtor SATA 200 gig drive connected to SATA1 on the mother
>> board and its working like a demon so I'm thinking something in the
>> bios perhaps.
> [snip]
> The Problem is the sata-controller, it doesn support this feature.
> This means that there will be no light flashing when your disk works.
>> If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I'd sure appreciate it,
>> thanks again!
>>
> NP.
> Tareq

You could use Disk Tray to indicate disk activity.

A fellow frustrated MSI K8T owner :)

Regards,
--
Paul Walton
West Midlands, UK

Paul Walton <Paul.Walton@BINSPAMwalt.org.uk> wrote in news:1os08tay7khgn
$.1573315laexo0.dlg@40tude.net:

> You could use Disk Tray to indicate disk activity.
>
> A fellow frustrated MSI K8T owner :)

I'm not the OP, but Ithink i'll have this problem later
this week when i receive my sata adapter ;)

In article <1os08tay7khgn$.1573315laexo0.dlg@40tude.net>,
Paul.Walton@BINSPAMwalt.org.uk says...
> You could use Disk Tray to indicate disk activity.
>
> A fellow frustrated MSI K8T owner :)

Thanks a lot for the tip Paul, that's a great little utility!

Tareq Djamous <tareq.djamous@de.bosch.com> wrote in

> The Problem is the sata-controller, it doesn support this feature.
> This means that there will be no light flashing when your disk works.

Ok, I was wrong :/ I got my PATA2SATA adapter this week. The light is still
flashing 8)

In article <Xns954F5AD72AEBAtareqdjamousdeboschc@10.4.4.13>,
tareq.djamous@de.bosch.com says...

> Ok, I was wrong :/ I got my PATA2SATA adapter this week. The light is still
> flashing 8)

What is this and where do I get one? =/

Thanks

> What is this and where do I get one? =/

This is an adapter for EIDE/Parallel ATA Harddisks,
if you wnat to attach them to a SATA controller.

Where to get ? Hmmm... almost every computer shop.
Description, www.abit.com -> serillel 2 adapter.

In article <Xns955566AEF8FE3tareqdjamousdeboschc@10.4.4.13>,
tareq.djamous@de.bosch.com says...
> DeRanger <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in
> Where to get ? Hmmm... almost every computer shop.
> Description, www.abit.com -> serillel 2 adapter.

I suppose it nullifies the performance gains of a SATA drive in the
first place just to have an LED though?