I-Pac or J-Pac?

Advice needed....

I received a Brand New Jamma Cabinet over the weekend. I am converting it
into a Mame Cabinet.

Should I buy from Ultimarc the I-Pac or J-Pac?

I-Pac:
cheaper
could be used in a Non Jamma Cabinet.

J-Pac:
more expensive
can only be used in a Jamma Cabinet
Wiring done for you
BUT Wiring make be not of a high standard.

Currently leaning towards I-Pac...... but advice much appreciated.

Hitesh

If I'm not mistaken, the Jpac is used only if you're using an arcade
monitor!

Ipac can be used to manually wire in any buttons or joysticks easily but
does not change the frequency of the monitor output for sync, therefore, has
to be used for TV/ PC monitors I believe!

So, in a nutshell, the only real diff is the monitor selection for these
boards!

Kelly

"Hitesh" <NoFookingReplyAddress@NoFookingReplyAddress.Com> wrote in message
> Advice needed....
>
> I received a Brand New Jamma Cabinet over the weekend. I am converting it
> into a Mame Cabinet.
>
> Should I buy from Ultimarc the I-Pac or J-Pac?
>
> I-Pac:
> cheaper
> could be used in a Non Jamma Cabinet.
>
> J-Pac:
> more expensive
> can only be used in a Jamma Cabinet
> Wiring done for you
> BUT Wiring make be not of a high standard.
>
> Currently leaning towards I-Pac...... but advice much appreciated.
>
> Hitesh

hp

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"Kelly Ray" <starwarsroomspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If I'm not mistaken, the Jpac is used only if you're using an arcade
> monitor!
>
> Ipac can be used to manually wire in any buttons or joysticks easily but
> does not change the frequency of the monitor output for sync, therefore,
> has to be used for TV/ PC monitors I believe!
>
> So, in a nutshell, the only real diff is the monitor selection for these
> boards!
>
> Kelly
>
> "Hitesh" <NoFookingReplyAddress@NoFookingReplyAddress.Com> wrote in
> message news:d0h0mj$ksd$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
>> Advice needed....
>>
>> I received a Brand New Jamma Cabinet over the weekend. I am converting it
>> into a Mame Cabinet.
>>
>> Should I buy from Ultimarc the I-Pac or J-Pac?
>>
>> I-Pac:
>> cheaper
>> could be used in a Non Jamma Cabinet.
>>
>> J-Pac:
>> more expensive
>> can only be used in a Jamma Cabinet
>> Wiring done for you
>> BUT Wiring make be not of a high standard.
>>
>> Currently leaning towards I-Pac...... but advice much appreciated.
>>
>> Hitesh

I do have an Arcade Monitor so I will be ordering the Arcade VGA card from
Ultimarc.

My understanding is that even if you have a J-Pac, you still need the Arcade
VGA for and Arcade Monitor.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:43:48 +0000, HP wrote:

> Sune..... thanks for the advice but I need some more.
>
> As I said in the earlier posting I have a Jamma Cabinet and want to make it
> into a Mame Cabinet.
>
> The Jamma Cabinet has a 15KHz Monitor.
>
> So, am I correct in saying my options include:
>
> 1. Buy ARCADE VGA and I-Pac from Ultimarc
>
> 2. Buy ARCADE VGA and J-Pac from Ultimarc
>
> Will the above 2 options both work? If so, I think I prefer option 1 as it
> is a little cheaper and also, I have been told that the Jamma Interface is
> not too well made in the cabinet and does become loose (bad soldering).

The J-Pac also amplifies the video signal to levels required by arcade
monitors, not all monitors need this though.

I'm halfway to putting together a mame cabinet myself, I'm using J-Pac &
ArcadeVGA. The bonus by using this is that you get a stable picture (bios
screen, POST etc) *before* the drivers are loaded. You wouldn't normally
get this when using a normal videocard.

Also, when using the J-Pac you don't have to mess around with soldering
your own cables (15-pin VGA -> whatever the monitor needs)

I would go with option 2 , and resolder anything in the cab that needs it.

Andre.

hp

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"Andre van der Elst" <andre__spam_me_not@finalist.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:43:48 +0000, HP wrote:
>

>> Sune..... thanks for the advice but I need some more.
>>
>> As I said in the earlier posting I have a Jamma Cabinet and want to make
>> it
>> into a Mame Cabinet.
>>
>> The Jamma Cabinet has a 15KHz Monitor.
>>
>> So, am I correct in saying my options include:
>>
>> 1. Buy ARCADE VGA and I-Pac from Ultimarc
>>
>> 2. Buy ARCADE VGA and J-Pac from Ultimarc
>>
>> Will the above 2 options both work? If so, I think I prefer option 1 as
>> it
>> is a little cheaper and also, I have been told that the Jamma Interface
>> is
>> not too well made in the cabinet and does become loose (bad soldering).
>
> The J-Pac also amplifies the video signal to levels required by arcade
> monitors, not all monitors need this though.
>
> I'm halfway to putting together a mame cabinet myself, I'm using J-Pac &
> ArcadeVGA. The bonus by using this is that you get a stable picture (bios
> screen, POST etc) *before* the drivers are loaded. You wouldn't normally
> get this when using a normal videocard.
>
> Also, when using the J-Pac you don't have to mess around with soldering
> your own cables (15-pin VGA -> whatever the monitor needs)
>
> I would go with option 2 , and resolder anything in the cab that needs it.
>
> Andre.

Andre.... thanks for the advice and I am begining to understand BUT:

How do the two items connect to a PC? Like this?

1 ARCADE VGA slots into a PC slot.
2 J-Pac connects to the Jamma Interface in the cabinet.
3 The signal goes out from the Arcade VGA into the J-Pac and out from the
J-Pac and into the monitor itself? I am confused here!

that is correct!

as stated in prior post, it is much easier with a Jpac because the
connections are already there but are limited to just a few players and a
few buttons/joysticks each(which is the downfall). if you're going to build
a cab from scratch(eg...four player cab) or add players/buttons/joysticks,
then you would be better going the other option #1 route but downfall there
would be that you have to hardwire your switch for each thing in(which is
easy but just takes a little time)!!

hope this helps,
Kelly

> Andre.... thanks for the advice and I am begining to understand BUT:
>
> How do the two items connect to a PC? Like this?
>
> 1 ARCADE VGA slots into a PC slot.
> 2 J-Pac connects to the Jamma Interface in the cabinet.
> 3 The signal goes out from the Arcade VGA into the J-Pac and out from the
> J-Pac and into the monitor itself? I am confused here!

Kelly Ray's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:

> If I'm not mistaken, the Jpac is used only if you're using an arcade
> monitor!

No, it CAN switch video signals to 15hz, however you dont have to. Its
primary job is to hook into the JAMMA wiring harness to eliminate rewiring
of controls.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:27:09 +0000, HP wrote:

> "Andre van der Elst" <andre__spam_me_not@finalist.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:43:48 +0000, HP wrote:
>>

>>> Sune..... thanks for the advice but I need some more.
>>>
>>> As I said in the earlier posting I have a Jamma Cabinet and want to make
>>> it
>>> into a Mame Cabinet.
>>>
>>> The Jamma Cabinet has a 15KHz Monitor.
>>>
>>> So, am I correct in saying my options include:
>>>
>>> 1. Buy ARCADE VGA and I-Pac from Ultimarc
>>>
>>> 2. Buy ARCADE VGA and J-Pac from Ultimarc
>>>
>>> Will the above 2 options both work? If so, I think I prefer option 1 as
>>> it
>>> is a little cheaper and also, I have been told that the Jamma Interface
>>> is
>>> not too well made in the cabinet and does become loose (bad soldering).
>>
>> The J-Pac also amplifies the video signal to levels required by arcade
>> monitors, not all monitors need this though.
>>
>> I'm halfway to putting together a mame cabinet myself, I'm using J-Pac &
>> ArcadeVGA. The bonus by using this is that you get a stable picture (bios
>> screen, POST etc) *before* the drivers are loaded. You wouldn't normally
>> get this when using a normal videocard.
>>
>> Also, when using the J-Pac you don't have to mess around with soldering
>> your own cables (15-pin VGA -> whatever the monitor needs)
>>
>> I would go with option 2 , and resolder anything in the cab that needs it.
>>
>> Andre.
>>

> Andre.... thanks for the advice and I am begining to understand BUT:
>
> How do the two items connect to a PC? Like this?
>
> 1 ARCADE VGA slots into a PC slot.
> 2 J-Pac connects to the Jamma Interface in the cabinet.
> 3 The signal goes out from the Arcade VGA into the J-Pac and out from the
> J-Pac and into the monitor itself? I am confused here!

1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - yes, there's a VGA cable included

The monitor signal goes from the J-Pac trough the jamma connector to the
monitor.

It really is that simple, it worked for me first time (installed last
sunday), other than 1 broken button on my control panel (not J-Pacs fault).

All cables that are required (vga cable, USB keyboard cable) come with the
J-Pac.

I installed Windows2000 first with another videocard (didn't install the
drivers), installed RealVNC (remote desktop tool), installed the ArcadeVGA
card and connected everything to the cabinet.

RealVNC makes it easier to remotecontrol the PC when it's in the cabinet
without a keyboard.

Andre.

TRENDING THREADS