Floppy Disk Drive Installation

Recently I installed a TEAC 3.5" floppy disk drive (Mod. 245 0405). After
installation, the drive letter (A:) showed in My Computer, Windows Explorer
and Device Manager of System Properties (no conflicts). The drive read a
inserted floppy disk.

I run WinXP Home SP2 on a Sempron 2200+ with 1.5GHz, 320MB, RAM.

Since installation of the drive, there is a barely noticeable-to-very
noticeable sound coming from the drive as its power light flash at computer
startup/reboot and turnoff. I don't know if the sound is normal or not for
this model. Or the drive is/is not compatible with the OS.

I just feel like I'm missing something because this is my first experience
with hardware installation. Plus, this particular sound was not previously
heard.

Can someone please provide some insight prior to my checking the
manufacturer's web sight.
2 answers Last reply
More about floppy disk drive installation

    It is normal for the floppy drive to "spin-up" during boot. Most PCs have
    BIOS options to "Seek Floppy Drive" during boot and also to allow the floppy
    drive to "boot" thr PCs (see Boot Sequence).

    Also, a lot of ant-virus utilities (like Norton AntiVirus) have a setting
    to "Scan Floppy Disk at Shutdown". You should be able to turn this off.

    "Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Recently I installed a TEAC 3.5" floppy disk drive (Mod. 245 0405). After
    > installation, the drive letter (A:) showed in My Computer, Windows
    > Explorer and Device Manager of System Properties (no conflicts). The
    > drive read a inserted floppy disk.
    >
    > I run WinXP Home SP2 on a Sempron 2200+ with 1.5GHz, 320MB, RAM.
    >
    > Since installation of the drive, there is a barely noticeable-to-very
    > noticeable sound coming from the drive as its power light flash at
    > computer startup/reboot and turnoff. I don't know if the sound is normal
    > or not for this model. Or the drive is/is not compatible with the OS.
    >
    > I just feel like I'm missing something because this is my first experience
    > with hardware installation. Plus, this particular sound was not
    > previously heard.
    >
    > Can someone please provide some insight prior to my checking the
    > manufacturer's web sight.

    Thanks for all your helpful comments. The sound is now barely noticed
    during all incidence of startup and shutdown. Thanks once again.

    > It is normal for the floppy drive to "spin-up" during boot. Most PCs have
    > BIOS options to "Seek Floppy Drive" during boot and also to allow the
    > floppy drive to "boot" thr PCs (see Boot Sequence).
    >
    > Also, a lot of ant-virus utilities (like Norton AntiVirus) have a setting
    > to "Scan Floppy Disk at Shutdown". You should be able to turn this off.
    >

    > "Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Recently I installed a TEAC 3.5" floppy disk drive (Mod. 245 0405).
    >> After installation, the drive letter (A:) showed in My Computer, Windows
    >> Explorer and Device Manager of System Properties (no conflicts). The
    >> drive read a inserted floppy disk.
    >>
    >> I run WinXP Home SP2 on a Sempron 2200+ with 1.5GHz, 320MB, RAM.
    >>
    >> Since installation of the drive, there is a barely noticeable-to-very
    >> noticeable sound coming from the drive as its power light flash at
    >> computer startup/reboot and turnoff. I don't know if the sound is normal
    >> or not for this model. Or the drive is/is not compatible with the OS.
    >>
    >> I just feel like I'm missing something because this is my first
    >> experience with hardware installation. Plus, this particular sound was
    >> not previously heard.
    >>
    >> Can someone please provide some insight prior to my checking the
    >> manufacturer's web sight.

Floppy Disk Windows XP