I need to clone my hard drive, Help Please

firebrick

My hard drive C:, is starting to make a steady whirring noise
Sounds like snoring.
Grrrr, Grrrr, etc etc.

I think it would be prudent to change it out before it stops making any
noise. :)

But I've got lots of files, programs, utilities set up just the way I want.

How do I clone it so I can take the old C: out and slip in the new one.

It is a registered, paid for, version of win xp with sp2. And this computer
is normally on 24/7.
I'd like to make this as painless as possible.

Please and thank you.

Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.

Bill H. in Chicagoland

Hi Firebrick,

I just did this recently myself. It was pretty simple. :)
You'll need a 3rd party software program such as Norton Ghost.
Also, if your current hard drive had software that came with it, you
may be able to use that as well. At any rate, the new hard will have
a set up disk and instructions on how to clone the old to the new.

Good luck!
Newtechie

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive C:, is starting to make a steady whirring noise
> Sounds like snoring.
> Grrrr, Grrrr, etc etc.
>
> I think it would be prudent to change it out before it stops making any
> noise. :)
>
> But I've got lots of files, programs, utilities set up just the way I
want.

> How do I clone it so I can take the old C: out and slip in the new one.
>
> It is a registered, paid for, version of win xp with sp2. And this
computer
> is normally on 24/7.
> I'd like to make this as painless as possible.
>

> Please and thank you.

> Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

You may get a disk cloning utility with the new hard drive and you should be
able to download it from the manufacturer's web site.

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive C:, is starting to make a steady whirring noise
> Sounds like snoring.
> Grrrr, Grrrr, etc etc.
>
> I think it would be prudent to change it out before it stops making any
> noise. :)
>
> But I've got lots of files, programs, utilities set up just the way I
> want.
>
> How do I clone it so I can take the old C: out and slip in the new one.
>
> It is a registered, paid for, version of win xp with sp2. And this
> computer
> is normally on 24/7.
> I'd like to make this as painless as possible.
>

> Please and thank you.

> Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive C:, is starting to make a steady whirring noise
> Sounds like snoring.
> Grrrr, Grrrr, etc etc.
>
> I think it would be prudent to change it out before it stops making any
> noise. :)
>
> But I've got lots of files, programs, utilities set up just the way I
> want.
>
> How do I clone it so I can take the old C: out and slip in the new one.
>
> It is a registered, paid for, version of win xp with sp2. And this
> computer
> is normally on 24/7.
> I'd like to make this as painless as possible.
>

> Please and thank you.

> Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

Get DrvClonerXP from
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/DrvClonerXP.shtml

I just cloned my Windows XP boot partition(3.5GB) to a bigger(and faster)
hard disk and it took just 15 minutes. After cloning, I can tell no
difference between the old and new hard disks(except a small increase in
speed). Also, very easy to use.

firebrick

It worked .... partly.
As long as it was the D drive, It showed and looked like an exact copy.

But when I put the jumper onto Cable Select, and removed the old C drive, it
would not boot fully.
And once when I did a reset and got the message saying it needed to check
the disk for errors, the top line still showed it to be D:

I expected the process to change the drive letter and wonder if that is why
it won't boot as the startup programs still have C: in their properties.

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> [...]

>> But I've got lots of files, programs, utilities set up just the way I
>> want.
>>
>> How do I clone it so I can take the old C: out and slip in the new one.
>>
>> It is a registered, paid for, version of win xp with sp2. And this
>> computer
>> is normally on 24/7.
>> I'd like to make this as painless as possible.
>>

>> Please and thank you.
>>

>> --

>> Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.
>>
>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>

> Get DrvClonerXP from
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/DrvClonerXP.shtml
>
> I just cloned my Windows XP boot partition(3.5GB) to a bigger(and faster)
> hard disk and it took just 15 minutes. After cloning, I can tell no
> difference between the old and new hard disks(except a small increase in

CS stands for Cable Select. The location of the drive on the cable
determines whether it is the Master or Slave.

Using CS the drive on the end of the cable is the Master (boot drive), and
the drive in the middle is the Slave drive.

r.

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Trent©" wrote:
>>>But when I put the jumper onto Cable Select, and removed the old C drive,
>>>it
>>>would not boot fully.
>>
>> If you change it to CS, you've got to put it on the end of that cable.
>

> Why?
>
> *TimDaniels*

"And why must an only drive be at the end of the cable?
(Hint: With modern controllers and hard drives, it doesn't.)"

now I maybe wrong, but I believe that even with "modern controllers and hard
drives" the cable position still matters......

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Hmm, maybe he got bored and moved on......

> "Trent©" wrote:
>> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>>> Your comment on Feb 10th was: "If you change it to CS,
>>> you've got to put it on the end of that cable."
>>
>> And, for his situation (we are trying to help HIM...remember!
>> lol) that statement was completely correct.
>

> No, even for the OP, the use of Cable Select did not necessitate
> a move of the hard drive to the end of the cable. It should still
> have booted up where it was using Cable Select.

>>> So? Your comment was still: "If you change it to CS, you've got
>>> to put it on the end of that cable." And that is untrue for the two
>>> reasons I gave.
>>
>> For your hypothetical scenario...sure. But I was trying to help
>> HIM...not trying to give him a dissertation on computer technology.
>

> You simply told him to do something he didn't need to do.
> Remember that many more people read these postings in the
> Google archives, and telling them to do something unneeded
> leads to their misunderstanding of PC operation.
>

> *TimDaniels*

Timothy:
With the disclaimer that my comments pertain to PATA hard drives and not
SATA drives since I've had no experience with the latter devices, here is my
understanding of HD configuration. I would appreciate your comments on the
following...

1. If the HD is jumpered as Master or Cable Select (CS) and is the only
device on the IDE cable, it doesn't matter what position it occupies on the
IDE cable for it to boot -- it would be considered as Master whether
connected to the middle or end connector of the IDE cable.

2. If the HD is a Western Digital (one that has a jumper setting of Single),
it should be jumpered as Single or CS if it's the only device on the IDE
cable. It doesn't matter what position it occupies on the IDE cable for it
to boot - it would be considered as Master.

3. If the HD is installed at the only device on the IDE cable, it's
considered good practice to connect it to the end connector rather than the
middle connector even though it *will* boot while connected either way. I
vaguely recall there was a ATA specification that cautioned against a
"dangling end connector" but I've been unable to find the reference. In any
event there certainly doesn't seem to be any negative implications to
connecting a single HD to the terminal end of the IDE cable.

4. The only time the position on the IDE cable is relevant is when the HD
has been jumpered as CS and there are two devices on the IDE cable. Then the
device connected to the middle connector is Slave (assuming it's jumpered as
Slave or CS) and the drive connected to the end connector is Master
(assuming it's jumpered as Master or CS). So if inadvertently the HD was
connected to the middle connector while jumpered CS, it would *not* boot.

5. If the HD is jumpered as Slave, it will not boot, period! It's position
on the IDE cable is immaterial.

6. If the HD is jumpered as Master, and there are two devices on the IDE
cable, and the HD is connected to the middle connector of the cable, then
that HD will *not* boot.

Art

firebrick

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "FireBrick" wrote:
>> It worked .... partly.
>> As long as it was the D drive, It showed and looked like an exact copy.
>>
>> But when I put the jumper onto Cable Select, and removed the old C drive,
>> it would not boot fully.
>> And once when I did a reset and got the message saying it needed to check
>> the disk for errors, the top line still showed it to be D:
>>
>> I expected the process to change the drive letter and wonder if that is
>> why it won't boot as the startup programs still have C: in their
>> properties.
>

> Firebrick, are you still there with the same problem?
>
> *TimDaniels*

Yes I am, just have been busy.
So how do I make that clone work as a boot drive.
It will only go so far and then it just stops.