mouse extremely jumpy

My mouse has a habit of wandering all over the screen at randome intervals.
It is particularily annoying if you are dragging something on the screen and
suddenly the mouse jumps the bottom of the screen and then jumps to the top
and then to the extreme edge of the screen...very annoying.

I don't know if its the mouse...which I've changed twice on warranty or the
motherboard..or XP.. I've a AMD CPU with a I believe ASUS MB (could be wrong
there) its a VIA chipset anyway. and using XP SP1.
7 answers Last reply
More about mouse extremely jumpy

    is this an optical mouse?

    if this mouse is wireless then change the batteries.if it is an
    optical mouse try not to use it on a shiny surface.
    updated usb drivers might help if it is a usb mouse.
    hope it helps
    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:45:04 -0800, "Elvis"
    <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My mouse has a habit of wandering all over the screen at randome intervals.
    >It is particularily annoying if you are dragging something on the screen and
    >suddenly the mouse jumps the bottom of the screen and then jumps to the top
    >and then to the extreme edge of the screen...very annoying.
    >
    >I don't know if its the mouse...which I've changed twice on warranty or the
    >motherboard..or XP.. I've a AMD CPU with a I believe ASUS MB (could be wrong
    >there) its a VIA chipset anyway. and using XP SP1.

    I'm not sure I see the connection between my mouse and my video card. I just
    recently updated the drivers on my video car BTW - a ATI Radeon.

    I suppose I could try the onboard video....

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Download and install the latest video adapter drivers.
    > If a new set of video drivers does not correct the problem,
    > your video adapter is probably defective and should be replaced.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Elvis" wrote:
    >
    > | My mouse has a habit of wandering all over the screen at randome intervals.
    > | It is particularily annoying if you are dragging something on the screen and
    > | suddenly the mouse jumps the bottom of the screen and then jumps to the top
    > | and then to the extreme edge of the screen...very annoying.
    > |
    > | I don't know if its the mouse...which I've changed twice on warranty or the
    > | motherboard..or XP.. I've a AMD CPU with a I believe ASUS MB (could be wrong
    > | there) its a VIA chipset anyway. and using XP SP1.

    How is it jumpy? Can you provide more information on that? Have you tried
    changing the settings for the mouse? It may help. To get there go to
    hardware manager then double click on your mouse on the adavanced tab you
    will see a setting for sample rate increase that to the maximum number. This
    should correct most mouse problems. Note that not all mice drivers have
    this. hopefully yours will. Feel free to Email me with further questions
    markbarrett@mgbconsultinginc.com
    "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure I see the connection between my mouse and my video card. I
    just
    > recently updated the drivers on my video car BTW - a ATI Radeon.
    >
    > I suppose I could try the onboard video....
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Download and install the latest video adapter drivers.
    > > If a new set of video drivers does not correct the problem,
    > > your video adapter is probably defective and should be replaced.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    ----

    > > "Elvis" wrote:
    > >
    > > | My mouse has a habit of wandering all over the screen at randome
    intervals.
    > > | It is particularily annoying if you are dragging something on the
    screen and
    > > | suddenly the mouse jumps the bottom of the screen and then jumps to
    the top
    > > | and then to the extreme edge of the screen...very annoying.
    > > |
    > > | I don't know if its the mouse...which I've changed twice on warranty
    or the
    > > | motherboard..or XP.. I've a AMD CPU with a I believe ASUS MB (could
    be wrong
    > > | there) its a VIA chipset anyway. and using XP SP1.

    Mark

    Please do not tout for business in these newsgroups.. questions are asked
    and answered here not only for the OP but the public good.. if somebody
    chooses to e-mail you, then so be it..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Mark Barrett" <markbarrett@mgbconsultinginc.com> wrote in message
    > How is it jumpy? Can you provide more information on that? Have you tried
    > changing the settings for the mouse? It may help. To get there go to
    > hardware manager then double click on your mouse on the adavanced tab you
    > will see a setting for sample rate increase that to the maximum number.
    > This
    > should correct most mouse problems. Note that not all mice drivers have
    > this. hopefully yours will. Feel free to Email me with further questions
    > markbarrett@mgbconsultinginc.com
    > "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm not sure I see the connection between my mouse and my video card. I
    > just
    >> recently updated the drivers on my video car BTW - a ATI Radeon.
    >>
    >> I suppose I could try the onboard video....
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Download and install the latest video adapter drivers.
    >> > If a new set of video drivers does not correct the problem,
    >> > your video adapter is probably defective and should be replaced.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >> >
    >> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > ----

    > intervals.
    > screen and
    > the top

    > or the
    > be wrong

    Well excuse me for offereing free help i will offer it to anyone that wants
    it. I am not charging anyone for anything.
    > Mark
    >
    > Please do not tout for business in these newsgroups.. questions are asked
    > and answered here not only for the OP but the public good.. if somebody
    > chooses to e-mail you, then so be it..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Mark Barrett" <markbarrett@mgbconsultinginc.com> wrote in message
    > > How is it jumpy? Can you provide more information on that? Have you
    tried
    > > changing the settings for the mouse? It may help. To get there go to
    > > hardware manager then double click on your mouse on the adavanced tab
    you
    > > will see a setting for sample rate increase that to the maximum number.
    > > This
    > > should correct most mouse problems. Note that not all mice drivers have
    > > this. hopefully yours will. Feel free to Email me with further questions
    > > markbarrett@mgbconsultinginc.com
    > > "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I'm not sure I see the connection between my mouse and my video card. I
    > > just
    > >> recently updated the drivers on my video car BTW - a ATI Radeon.
    > >>
    > >> I suppose I could try the onboard video....

    -
    > > ----

    > > intervals.
    > > screen and
    > > the top

    > > or the
    > > be wrong

    I extend my assistace to anyone that desires it free of charge. It is more
    valuable to me than anyone esle. So leave me alone I am not bothering
    anyone. I have never seen so many people attack me than i have on this
    message board what is everyones problem here? I am getting pretty sick of
    it.

Mice Windows XP