HEL:P How to install DVD writer???

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Windows XP
February 7, 2005 8:58:32 PM

Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
to get them all connected and working?

Thank you
Steve

More about : hel install dvd writer

February 8, 2005 12:13:02 AM

Hi,

If you are using 40Pin 80 wired cable for Primary and Secondary IDE
channels, you can set all the drives to cable select.
If you are only using the 40 wired cable for the secondary IDE channels, I
would suggest you to jumper the DVD drive as master and the writer as slave.
Connect the DVD drive as master as well (far end), the middle connector is
for slave drive.

Peter

"steve smith" wrote:

> Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
> I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
> primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
> to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
> secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
> slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
> computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
> to get them all connected and working?
>
> Thank you
> Steve

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:25:16 AM

If you are using 'Cable Select" then BOTH hard drivesneed to be using it.
Set the hard drives to Master/Slave setting and do the same for the DVD
drives.

"steve smith" <boy_wonder48@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
> I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
> primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
> to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
> secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
> slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
> computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
> to get them all connected and working?
>
> Thank you
> Steve
Related resources
February 8, 2005 1:03:02 AM

For performance reasons I'd recommend:
IDE0 - HDD0 [current C Drive] as Master - Optical Drive as slave
IDE1 - HDD1 [current D Drive] as Master - Optical Drive [DVD-RW] as slave

That way when you copy those movies [creating a temporary file on C] the
data is quickly accessed and sent across the the second IDE Interface and you
don't have your drives conflicting for resources on the BUS or Interface
Controller.

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you are using 40Pin 80 wired cable for Primary and Secondary IDE
> channels, you can set all the drives to cable select.
> If you are only using the 40 wired cable for the secondary IDE channels, I
> would suggest you to jumper the DVD drive as master and the writer as slave.
> Connect the DVD drive as master as well (far end), the middle connector is
> for slave drive.
>
> Peter
>
> "steve smith" wrote:
>
> > Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
> > I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
> > primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
> > to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
> > secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
> > slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
> > computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
> > to get them all connected and working?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Steve

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:46:37 AM

When you say that your system won't "boot up" with the two optical drives
installed...do you mean that it won't power up or that it turns on but won't
load Windows? It would be somewhat unusual for an improperly installed
optical drive to cause Windows to not load, especially if it's installed to
the secondary IDE channel and slaved to another optical drive (as opposed to
slaved to your primary hard drive). Generally, in the case of an improperly
installed optical drive, Windows will load, but not recognize the drive.

I ask because, if your system won't POWER up with the optical drive
installed, then the problem may very well be that your power supply cannot
handle having 4 IDE devices attached. In that case, when you power on, your
power supply becomes overloaded and shuts down (or won't turn on at all.)
The fix is to install a power supply with a higher wattage rating or remove
one or more of the IDE devices.

"steve smith" <boy_wonder48@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
> I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
> primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
> to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
> secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
> slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
> computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
> to get them all connected and working?
>
> Thank you
> Steve
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:48:52 AM

When you say that your system won't "boot up" with the two optical drives
installed...do you mean that it won't power up or that it turns on but won't
load Windows? It would be somewhat unusual for an improperly installed
optical drive to cause Windows to not load, especially if it's installed to
the secondary IDE channel and slaved to another optical drive (as opposed to
slaved to your primary hard drive). Generally, in the case of an improperly
installed optical drive, Windows will load, but not recognize the drive.

I ask because, if your system won't POWER up with the optical drive
installed, then the problem may very well be that your power supply cannot
handle having 4 IDE devices attached. In that case, when you power on, your
power supply becomes overloaded and shuts down (or won't turn on at all.)
The fix is to install a power supply with a higher wattage rating or remove
one or more of the IDE devices.

"steve smith" <boy_wonder48@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am trying to install a dvd writer but am having troble doing so.
> I currently have a prmiary and secondary hard drive sitting on the
> primary channel with settings of master and cable select. I have tried
> to put the dvd writer as secondary master, with my dvd rom as
> secondary slave. I have also tried many other setting i.e writer as
> slave on secondary, slave o primary, but no matter what i try my
> computer will not boot up. Can anyone tell me what the best setting is
> to get them all connected and working?
>
> Thank you
> Steve
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:22:08 PM

Ok, but the HDD0 will be 'slowed" to the Optical drive speeds.

!