SATA and IDE

I have a 60G IDE drive that I have been using forever, I just got a 250G SATA
drive and I was wondering if there was any way to copy the old drive to the
new one. The software that came with the drive is susposed to make the SATA
drive a boot disk and copy the entire old drive over, but I can't boot off
the drive. The only way I can get it to boot off the SATA is if I do a New
install of XP, which leaves me out in the cold as far as all my programs go,
I really don't want to have to load them again any Ideas on how I can make an
exact copy of my old drive on my new drive and get it to boot?

"etcsolar" <etcsolar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 60G IDE drive that I have been using forever, I just got a 250G
>SATA
> drive and I was wondering if there was any way to copy the old drive to
> the
> new one. The software that came with the drive is susposed to make the
> SATA
> drive a boot disk and copy the entire old drive over, but I can't boot off
> the drive. The only way I can get it to boot off the SATA is if I do a
> New
> install of XP, which leaves me out in the cold as far as all my programs
> go,
> I really don't want to have to load them again any Ideas on how I can make
> an
> exact copy of my old drive on my new drive and get it to boot?

Unless it is a really dated box, you should be able to change the boot
sequence in the
BIOS.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Change the boot order in the BIOS, explicit instructions should be in the
motherboard manual.