Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Hi,

I have a LACIE PCMCIA combo PC card (USB 2.0 & Firewire 400) that I connect
to my Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV box or to my DV Camera.
Everything works for video capture or for an external hard disk using the
firewire port, but I cannot send a DV back to the camera from any software
(Pinnacle Studio 9, Windows Movie Maker, WinDV, scLive, ...).
If I use another notebook with a firewire port on the motherboard everything
works.
If I install my LACIE combo PC card on this notebook I have the same
problem.
My OS is Windows XP sp1
Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Lorenzo L.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Hello,

I guess the answer is that the card is probably defective or not truly
compatible. I have heard that some of these devices using Texas Instruments
chipset's are not always compatible with Movie Maker.

There is a utility which is very highly regarded called WinDV available
here http://windv.mourek.cz/ It has been known to succeed where Movie Maker
has failed.

--
Have A Nice Day.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

"John Kelly" <not@dot.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I guess the answer is that the card is probably defective or not truly
> compatible. I have heard that some of these devices using Texas
Instruments
> chipset's are not always compatible with Movie Maker.

I have personally had difficulties with Firewire cards using the TI chipset
and an M-Audio Firewire 410, Cubase and XP. NEC chipset cards work
perfectly. With the TI-based cards, Windows loses connection to the driver
in seconds.

I have found this to be more of a problem with PCMCIA cards, as many of the
USB/Firewire cards seem to use the TI chip. Adaptec makes a 3-port
firewire card (large connector only) that uses the NEC chip.

HTH
-pk

> There is a utility which is very highly regarded called WinDV available
> here http://windv.mourek.cz/ It has been known to succeed where Movie
Maker
> has failed.
>
> --
> Have A Nice Day.....John Kelly
> www.the-kellys.org
> www.the-kellys.co.uk
> Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
> ----
> \|||/
> (oo)
> ----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Hello there,

Well, THANK YOU for confirming that....there have been a couple of others
in windowsxp.moviemaker who tried to imply some time back that I did not
know what I was talking about....Cheers !!!

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

I already used WinDV without any results.

I think it is a strange problem ...

If I can capture video why I cannot send back it to my camera or my tv ?
Does not it change only the direction of the video flow (IN-OUT) ?
It is not software dipendent. I have the same problem with all video editing
softwares
Why I don't have any problems with an external hard disk ?

What do you mean when you say "truly compatible" ?

Is not Firewire IEEE 1394 a standard interface ?

In Device Manager I can see my Controller Host OHCI compatible IEEE 1394
that use the Microsoft driver.

Could it be a Windows XP problem ?

"John Kelly" <not@dot.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello,
>
> I guess the answer is that the card is probably defective or not truly
> compatible. I have heard that some of these devices using Texas
Instruments
> chipset's are not always compatible with Movie Maker.
>
> There is a utility which is very highly regarded called WinDV available
> here http://windv.mourek.cz/ It has been known to succeed where Movie
Maker
> has failed.
>
> --
> Have A Nice Day.....John Kelly
> www.the-kellys.org
> www.the-kellys.co.uk
> Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
> ----
> \|||/
> (oo)
> ----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Some camcorders do not support DV in. What is the make and model of your
camcorder?

Joel

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:30:41 +0100, Lorenzo L. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a LACIE PCMCIA combo PC card (USB 2.0 & Firewire 400) that I connect
> to my Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV box or to my DV Camera.
> Everything works for video capture or for an external hard disk using the
> firewire port, but I cannot send a DV back to the camera from any software
> (Pinnacle Studio 9, Windows Movie Maker, WinDV, scLive, ...).
> If I use another notebook with a firewire port on the motherboard everything
> works.
> If I install my LACIE combo PC card on this notebook I have the same
> problem.
> My OS is Windows XP sp1
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lorenzo L.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Canon MV650i supports DV in, I tested it with an another notebook.

"bendover" <ben@localhost.localdomain> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Some camcorders do not support DV in. What is the make and model of your
> camcorder?
>
> Joel
>
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:30:41 +0100, Lorenzo L. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a LACIE PCMCIA combo PC card (USB 2.0 & Firewire 400) that I
>> connect
>> to my Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV box or to my DV Camera.
>> Everything works for video capture or for an external hard disk using the
>> firewire port, but I cannot send a DV back to the camera from any
>> software
>> (Pinnacle Studio 9, Windows Movie Maker, WinDV, scLive, ...).
>> If I use another notebook with a firewire port on the motherboard
>> everything
>> works.
>> If I install my LACIE combo PC card on this notebook I have the same
>> problem.
>> My OS is Windows XP sp1
>> Any suggestions ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lorenzo L.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

Hello,

That's right I have one of them. For some reason Canon market both with and
without the DV in (its the letter "i") that's the give away...anyway...they
market them (or did) at the same price !!!

--
Have A Nice Day.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/

Lorenzo L. wrote:
> Canon MV650i supports DV in, I tested it with an another notebook.
>
> "bendover" <ben@localhost.localdomain> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Some camcorders do not support DV in. What is the make and model of
>> your camcorder?
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:30:41 +0100, Lorenzo L. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a LACIE PCMCIA combo PC card (USB 2.0 & Firewire 400) that I
>>> connect
>>> to my Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV box or to my DV Camera.
>>> Everything works for video capture or for an external hard disk
>>> using the firewire port, but I cannot send a DV back to the camera
>>> from any software
>>> (Pinnacle Studio 9, Windows Movie Maker, WinDV, scLive, ...).
>>> If I use another notebook with a firewire port on the motherboard
>>> everything
>>> works.
>>> If I install my LACIE combo PC card on this notebook I have the same
>>> problem.
>>> My OS is Windows XP sp1
>>> Any suggestions ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L.

Does USB2 work for anything? I suspect that the card is not delivering
enough power. Does it have its own power supply or have a USB power
pigtail?

joel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker (More info?)

yes, it could be.

You can either try upgrading to SP2 or exchanging the controller
for another make/model. I would suggest exchanging the controller.

Joel