missing CD drive and COM service related?

MY CD drive was working OK this morning. Later, while installing a
trial version of Ghost 9, I had to reinstall the COM service on my
system (XP Home). After I got Ghost working, I noticed Explorer was not
recognizing the CD drive, but it shows in the BIOS and the tray ejects
OK. Device Mgr shows an exclamation point and the message that Windows
"loaded the correct driver but cannot find the device." I tried
uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, physically
disconnected/reconnected the drive, cleared the upper/lower filters in
the registry, Doug Knox's tweak...no change. When I tried to upgrade the
driver, the message was "cannot find the device." Did reinstalling the
COM service somehow affect the CD drive operation? What should I try next?

Bartt <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote:

>MY CD drive was working OK this morning. Later, while installing a
>trial version of Ghost 9, I had to reinstall the COM service on my
>system (XP Home). After I got Ghost working, I noticed Explorer was not
>recognizing the CD drive, but it shows in the BIOS and the tray ejects
>OK. Device Mgr shows an exclamation point and the message that Windows
>"loaded the correct driver but cannot find the device." I tried
>uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, physically
>disconnected/reconnected the drive, cleared the upper/lower filters in
>the registry, Doug Knox's tweak...no change. When I tried to upgrade the
>driver, the message was "cannot find the device." Did reinstalling the
>COM service somehow affect the CD drive operation? What should I try next?

See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084). Also ask
Symantec about what you can do to make Ghost install properly.

--
(tm)

I regained access to my drive via system restore, but still wonder
whether the drive problem is related to reinstalling COM+.
As for Symantec support, their response was to take a look at their
knowledge base. So what's new?

Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> Bartt <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote:
>

>>MY CD drive was working OK this morning. Later, while installing a
>>trial version of Ghost 9, I had to reinstall the COM service on my
>>system (XP Home). After I got Ghost working, I noticed Explorer was not
>>recognizing the CD drive, but it shows in the BIOS and the tray ejects
>>OK. Device Mgr shows an exclamation point and the message that Windows
>>"loaded the correct driver but cannot find the device." I tried
>>uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, physically
>>disconnected/reconnected the drive, cleared the upper/lower filters in
>>the registry, Doug Knox's tweak...no change. When I tried to upgrade the
>>driver, the message was "cannot find the device." Did reinstalling the
>>COM service somehow affect the CD drive operation? What should I try next?
>

> See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
> Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084). Also ask
> Symantec about what you can do to make Ghost install properly.

Bartt <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote:

>I regained access to my drive via system restore, but still wonder
>whether the drive problem is related to reinstalling COM+.

Don't know. You could reinstall the application to see if this leads
to the same result.

--
(tm)