COM Port Issue

Hi,

I have a user who has lost all his COM ports on his machine. We believe it
to be a software related issue rather than hardware. The computer has no
other maladies than this one. The problem occurred after using a serial
cable to do direct connection to Win 95 machine and afterwards the COM Ports
have not been functional.

First off - Any suggestions or what this could be related to. Am I mistaken
this to actually be a Hardware issue.

Also, we have used the renabled COM port utility on Microsoft's website and
haven't found anythng there either...

Any suggestions? TIA

-Kristerpher

--
Kristerpher Henderson

Wharton Computing and Information Technology
Computer Consultant
215-898-8600

You have used the Direct Cable connection between a Windows 95 and this XP,
so it could be that the Direct Cable connection is "locking" the COM port.

"Kristerpher Henderson" <kjh29@drexel.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a user who has lost all his COM ports on his machine. We believe it
> to be a software related issue rather than hardware. The computer has no
> other maladies than this one. The problem occurred after using a serial
> cable to do direct connection to Win 95 machine and afterwards the COM
> Ports
> have not been functional.
>
> First off - Any suggestions or what this could be related to. Am I
> mistaken
> this to actually be a Hardware issue.
>
> Also, we have used the renabled COM port utility on Microsoft's website
> and
> haven't found anythng there either...
>
> Any suggestions? TIA
>
> -Kristerpher
>

> --
> Kristerpher Henderson
>
> Wharton Computing and Information Technology
> Computer Consultant
> 215-898-8600

"Kristerpher Henderson" <kjh29@drexel.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a user who has lost all his COM ports on his machine. We believe it
> to be a software related issue rather than hardware. The computer has no
> other maladies than this one. The problem occurred after using a serial
> cable to do direct connection to Win 95 machine and afterwards the COM
Ports
> have not been functional.
>
> First off - Any suggestions or what this could be related to. Am I
mistaken
> this to actually be a Hardware issue.
>
> Also, we have used the renabled COM port utility on Microsoft's website
and
> haven't found anythng there either...
>
> Any suggestions? TIA
>
> -Kristerpher
>

> --
> Kristerpher Henderson
>
> Wharton Computing and Information Technology
> Computer Consultant
> 215-898-8600

Do the comm ports show in device manager?

Are they enabled in the BIOS?

TRENDING THREADS