A Beginner's Guide For WaterCooling Your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
What an absolutely useless article. Why any enthusiast would choose Koolance over a custom setup that would give twice the performance at the same cost is beyond me.

tailgunner07

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I have to disagree with the above comment, as a novice to water-cooling I found the article useful and informative. While I would not choose the Koolance kit, due to cost, I now have a better idea of how to proceed.
I would however recommend using a kit as a starting point and modify it as needed rather than ordering a collection of parts and finding that they do not meet your requirements.

JDMH22

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I agree tailgunner07. I'd use a kit and then start adding more cooling blocks and accessories to meet my needs. I did learn more about water cooling in this article.

G

to ComputerCustomizer look before speaking this article was written over a year a go when people were shit scarred of water cooling setups.
There weren't too trusty names in the market either. They used the koolance system as it was the easiest for n00bs at the time.

G

Koolance also the best water cooling system that are around, there's nothing wrong with this usefull review, don't use water cooling if don't have more buck for it.

Invid

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I agree with Tailgunner, if one is a novice and feels they do not want to delve too deeply into the realm of water cooling then something like this is perfect and the article is helpful in that sense.

For custom cooling and purchasing of individual items then this article will not help you but then again this isn't about picking and choosing individual components for custom cooling options.

- Invid

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
well looks like everyone agrees with tailgunner.. lol i was kind of concerned more about fittings and sizes.. i just got a HAF 932. theres enough room for an internal tri rad 120mmx3 on the top of the case, and a single 120mm rad on the back. i do like how they showed to T off after the CPU. i bought a TT pump, res and front temp gauge off eBay and am in the works of buying the rest of the parts. one thing that confused me is what the heck is a G1/4 fitting? now i get it, its just a common pipe thread size. and then you go to a 3/8" or 1/2" ID hose. would have been nice to get a little into that a little... but then again its a beginners article.. great job!!!

G

This is very useful. I believe all who indead would love to ave better and faster cooling will go for a kit like this, despite the cost.

G

I think its a great article. There is a lot to be learned here and the graphs are great too.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I love the progression of time from the date the article was written, to the first comment over a year later, and then the progressively newer posts until we get to jewie's post above.

Guess Google is good for laughs as well as info!

I know this is an old article but I just want to address the misinformation as to the air flow direction of the picture of a diagramed stock motherboard air cooler, the air flow goes in the downward flow on the heat sink referenced in the design because the air coolers exhaust forced down on the motherboard is also cooling the motherboards voltage regulators.

A little very left out fact of todays water cooling is providing airflow over the motherboards voltage regulators, when you remove the stock air cooler and replace it with a CPU water Block.

MJM87

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
This is a beginner guide for setting up water systems, I readed this article to know how I short-jumper the power so I could get the current out of my power supply, without turning the power on (or without having power connected to motherboard).

Anyhow, "this is achieved by shorting out pins on the ATX power supply to fool it into providing power to the liquid cooling pump without powering the motherboard."
And then there is not given the pins which need to short out! Should I try every possible pins to be shorting out? ..maybe not, but this article pisses me off..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS