Neo2 dual channel problem

Hey there,

I just recently assembled a new comp and after installing everything,
etc I noticed that my memory isn't operating in dual channel mode. I
checked if the modules were inserted firmly & correctly into the slots
and, not surprisingly, they were. Just for fun (yeah right) I
rechecked and reinserted them a couple more times. Still no dual. All
the BIOS settings seem to be correct. Any suggestions or anything I
might have missed? Any known problems with this board and activating
dual channel mode? I could try a BIOS flash but AFAIK that doesn't
include (or mention) a fix for dc so I'm holding off on that option
for now.

Specs:

AMD A64 3500+ s939 ** MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (BIOS v. 1.1) ** Corsair
Twinx 1024MB(2*512)DDR400 (2-2-5-2) - Matched ** MSI FX5900

(Excuse the messy English, hard to bring my point or problem across in
a non-native language.)

Mike

Splendid

I have a Neo2 board, but a different one. My BIOS offers no on/off for
Dual Mode. It looks like you have matched memory sticks. Make sure
they are in slot 1 and 3 *OR* slot 2 and 4. I will assume you have them
in side by side.

B.deBurcht wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I just recently assembled a new comp and after installing everything,
> etc I noticed that my memory isn't operating in dual channel mode. I
> checked if the modules were inserted firmly & correctly into the slots
> and, not surprisingly, they were. Just for fun (yeah right) I
> rechecked and reinserted them a couple more times. Still no dual. All
> the BIOS settings seem to be correct. Any suggestions or anything I
> might have missed? Any known problems with this board and activating
> dual channel mode? I could try a BIOS flash but AFAIK that doesn't
> include (or mention) a fix for dc so I'm holding off on that option
> for now.
>
> Specs:
>
> AMD A64 3500+ s939 ** MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (BIOS v. 1.1) ** Corsair
> Twinx 1024MB(2*512)DDR400 (2-2-5-2) - Matched ** MSI FX5900
>
> (Excuse the messy English, hard to bring my point or problem across in
> a non-native language.)

No, for dual mode the RAM goes in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. The manual is somewhat
confusing.

Lothar

"Mike" <mejacobie@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I have a Neo2 board, but a different one. My BIOS offers no on/off for
> Dual Mode. It looks like you have matched memory sticks. Make sure
> they are in slot 1 and 3 *OR* slot 2 and 4. I will assume you have them
> in side by side.
>
> B.deBurcht wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I just recently assembled a new comp and after installing everything,
> > etc I noticed that my memory isn't operating in dual channel mode. I
> > checked if the modules were inserted firmly & correctly into the slots
> > and, not surprisingly, they were. Just for fun (yeah right) I
> > rechecked and reinserted them a couple more times. Still no dual. All
> > the BIOS settings seem to be correct. Any suggestions or anything I
> > might have missed? Any known problems with this board and activating
> > dual channel mode? I could try a BIOS flash but AFAIK that doesn't
> > include (or mention) a fix for dc so I'm holding off on that option
> > for now.
> >
> > Specs:
> >
> > AMD A64 3500+ s939 ** MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (BIOS v. 1.1) ** Corsair
> > Twinx 1024MB(2*512)DDR400 (2-2-5-2) - Matched ** MSI FX5900
> >
> > (Excuse the messy English, hard to bring my point or problem across in
> > a non-native language.)

Mike

Splendid

Your board must be designed differently than mine. Mine is a 865PE Neo2
FIS2R. I requires RAM, one in channel A and one in Channel B for DDR
mode. My BIOS starts up showing 1GB (2 sticks 512MB) and DDR.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:28:43 -0600, "Lothar" <l@a.net> wrote:

| No, for dual mode the RAM goes in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. The manual is somewhat
| confusing.

Is this board different from other MSI Neo2 boards? On my 865PE
Neo2-PFS, DIMM slots 1 & 2 are Channel A and 3 & 4 are Channel B. For
dual channel setups, 1 in Channel A mates with 3 in Channel B. 2 in
Channel A mates with 4 in Channel B. DIMM modules would be put in
slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 ONLY if somebody didn't want to use dual
channeling. If all four slots were used for dual channel, 1 & 3 and 2
& 4 MUST match.

The manual is crystal clear. Those are the only three possible setups
for dual channeling. This statement follows the manual table that
outlines those setups: "MSI Reminds You... Dual-channel DDR works ONLY
in the three combinations listed in the table above."

Larc

Mike <mejacobie@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<HvL1d.6819$IO5.2757@trndny04>...
> I have a Neo2 board, but a different one. My BIOS offers no on/off for
> Dual Mode. It looks like you have matched memory sticks. Make sure
> they are in slot 1 and 3 *OR* slot 2 and 4. I will assume you have them
> in side by side.

Nope, they'e both in the "green slots", meaning slot 1 and 3. If I put
them in slot 2 & 4 the comp won't boot. I'm sure everything is setup
correctly, it's just the dc option that won't budge. But I'm brining
it to the shop next week so.. thx anyway.