PQ-Magic, unaccessible logical drives: RAW?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I'm using WIndows XP Pro SP2. I'm using Partition Magic 8.01.
I have 4 partitions on my single physical drive: C, D, E, and F.

I resized my C partition using PQ Magic. It was smooth and successful
in enlarging C. But now my other partitions are unaccessible. I
clicked "Browse partition" and those drives showed nothing. When I
tried to convert one partition logical from FAT32 to NTFS (using
"Convert partition"), the Command Window showed this:

CONVERT is not available for RAW drives.
Press any key to continue . . .

When using CHKDSK it responded:

The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

Press any key to continue . . .

In the right pane, however, the size, the space used, the space left
are still showing the correct values. Even when I clicked "Split
partition", it still displays the valid directory structure. But in
Windows Explorer the logical partitions are unaccessible and
"unformatted".

Any idea how to get my data back?

Thanks before

Fajar
4 answers Last reply
More about magic unaccessible logical drives
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In news:e86402e1.0502091738.3c23742b@posting.google.com,
    Fajar Suryawan <fajar96te@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > Any idea how to get my data back?

    You ask if there's any way to get your data back. Data that was on the
    drives before you started partitioning them? Maybe, you'll need some third
    party sofware to do that though.

    To get the drives to work you need to select the format option with
    Partition Magic. It has a nifty wizard that's pretty effective and will
    guide you through the process. This isn't really an XP/Windows support issue
    though so for more help on that subject you can see them but I have told you
    all you really need to know. Just format the partitions that you want to the
    data storage type that you want (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS for instance) and you
    should be all set. RAW formatted drives don't do any good to an operating
    system and thus can't be checked for errors and the like.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On some drive programs, ANY resizing wipes them all clean.
    On your next resizing, back up your files first.

    "Fajar Suryawan" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using WIndows XP Pro SP2. I'm using Partition Magic 8.01.
    > I have 4 partitions on my single physical drive: C, D, E, and F.
    >
    > I resized my C partition using PQ Magic. It was smooth and successful
    > in enlarging C. But now my other partitions are unaccessible. I
    > clicked "Browse partition" and those drives showed nothing. When I
    > tried to convert one partition logical from FAT32 to NTFS (using
    > "Convert partition"), the Command Window showed this:
    >
    > CONVERT is not available for RAW drives.
    > Press any key to continue . . .
    >
    > When using CHKDSK it responded:
    >
    > The type of the file system is RAW.
    > CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
    >
    > Press any key to continue . . .
    >

    > In the right pane, however, the size, the space used, the space left
    > are still showing the correct values. Even when I clicked "Split
    > partition", it still displays the valid directory structure. But in
    > Windows Explorer the logical partitions are unaccessible and
    > "unformatted".
    >
    > Any idea how to get my data back?
    >
    > Thanks before
    >
    > Fajar

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I think you can use PM to check the partitions for errors and correct errors.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "Fajar Suryawan" <fajar96te@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using WIndows XP Pro SP2. I'm using Partition Magic 8.01.
    > I have 4 partitions on my single physical drive: C, D, E, and F.
    >
    > I resized my C partition using PQ Magic. It was smooth and successful
    > in enlarging C. But now my other partitions are unaccessible. I
    > clicked "Browse partition" and those drives showed nothing. When I
    > tried to convert one partition logical from FAT32 to NTFS (using
    > "Convert partition"), the Command Window showed this:
    >
    > CONVERT is not available for RAW drives.
    > Press any key to continue . . .
    >
    > When using CHKDSK it responded:
    >
    > The type of the file system is RAW.
    > CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
    >
    > Press any key to continue . . .
    >

    > In the right pane, however, the size, the space used, the space left
    > are still showing the correct values. Even when I clicked "Split
    > partition", it still displays the valid directory structure. But in
    > Windows Explorer the logical partitions are unaccessible and
    > "unformatted".
    >
    > Any idea how to get my data back?
    >
    > Thanks before
    >
    > Fajar
  4. Folks, I hope I'm doing this right...sorry if I'm not...

    I have almost the exact same problem described above...except my drives *do not* show the volume/free space information. Using Maxtor Manager, I can see 'Maxtor One Touch 4 - 2 TB' as the Model, but only five 'box' characters and the logical drive letter (K) for the Partition and Free Space values. The OS is XP SP2, and I have data on this external drive that I really need. :sweat:

    Any ideas/suggestions would be most welcome.

    Thanks!

    - Kurt

Partition Microsoft Windows XP