Hard disk drive disappeared!

My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly by
the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive shows
up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it went?
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk drive disappeared

    "Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly by
    >the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
    >Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive shows
    >up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it went?

    Try this: "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
    Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).

    --
    (tm)

    Try disk management "diskmgmt.msc" from the run command. Then re-allocate
    the drive letter for the slave drive.

    Neil
    "Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly
    > by
    > the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
    > Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive
    > shows
    > up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it
    > went?

    Can't reassign a drive letter since Windows doesn't see the drive. As far as
    Windows is concerned it doesn't exist.

    "neil" wrote:

    > Try disk management "diskmgmt.msc" from the run command. Then re-allocate
    > the drive letter for the slave drive.
    >
    > Neil
    > "Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly
    > > by
    > > the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
    > > Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive
    > > shows
    > > up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it
    > > went?

    Sorry my mistake, my brain very neatly skipped the bit about "doesn't show
    in device manager".

    I guess you've not changed any hardware, & when you say a DOS prompt is that
    within windows or a boot floppy or something else. Could you try a system
    restore ??

    > Can't reassign a drive letter since Windows doesn't see the drive. As far
    > as
    > Windows is concerned it doesn't exist.
    >
    > "neil" wrote:
    >
    >> Try disk management "diskmgmt.msc" from the run command. Then re-allocate
    >> the drive letter for the slave drive.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >> "Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized
    >> > properly
    >> > by
    >> > the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in
    >> > Windows
    >> > Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive
    >> > shows
    >> > up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it
    >> > went?

Hard Drives Windows XP