KT4Ultra FISR : SATA vanished !

hello and thanx in advance to anyone who could help me.

Here's my problem.
I own that mobo since 1 year. never had any problem.
Bios version is 1.4. CPU is XP2400+
since today, all my hard drives were standard PATA drives.
Today I bought a SATA drive and intended to plug it on one of the
onboard sata ports (1 hd only. no raid. just 1 drive more to extend
storage capacity).

So I plugged both cable and powered the comp.
I had once used IDE3 port to mount a temporary drive and found out how
to make it work (entering Promise Bios menu, etc), so I was going to
do the same thing but I realized that I had not seen the Promise
prompt since months !

Actually, if I enter the mobo bios, under "Integrated Peripherals", I
simply don't have the SATA Controller any more !. I can't enable /
disable it because it's no longer part of the choices.

Well... I cleared the Cmos and powered it up again. Cmos sequence goes
fine and then for about 1 second, here is my promise banner... but it
says something like "Sorry dude, I didn't find any drive so the bios
is NOT loaded... see ya" and then switches back to the "Bad Cmos
values... F1 to enter setup, F2 for default".
So I re-entered the bios but the SATA controller option won't show up
!.

I tried different things and found out that the ONLY time I see a
"Promise Raid" banner/ message is right just after clearing cmos, and
that message doesn't even offer the choice to enter the Promise Bios.

After that, no matter how many times I re-boot the computer, the
Promise prompt has vanished. it switches directly from the cmos
summary screen to the windows boot sequence.

The most odd thing is the other day, I booted my comp under Win2k3
Server and tadaaa the Raid controller was here "Please give me the
drivers if you want it to work..." but it does no longer...

Sometimes it's here, sometimes not.

Well, my question is simple... what can I do ? I want my sata
controller back...
I even tried to flash the mobo bios back to 1.3 but that didn't change
anything...
I can't access the Promise Bios, nor activate it in the Cmos... looks
like it never existed except for the very first boot after the cmos is
cleared.

Any idea ? could it be due to a conflict or whatever ? please someone
? HEEEEEEEEEELP !

thx again

My System:
KT4Ultra FISR
Athlon XP2400+ (no overclocking nor whatever)
1Gb RAM @333Mhz (1x512, 2x256)
Saphirre Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb
1x Seagate 60Gb
1x Maxtor 120Gb
1x MSI 48x CdBurner
1x Nec 1300A

Running both XPPro and 2k3 server

It has the symptoms of a bad Promise controller (corrupted firmware).
Robert