How Many cpu cores Recognised by our os and Graphical application ?

comseek

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello,
How Many cores detected by our present running Operating systems(windows).
1.Actual my doubt is I would like to build a systems with AMD Opteron 6000 series (4 processors system 4*12 cores=48 cores) for the using of my Graphics Rendering Purpose (Like Maya, 3D max, Vue etc...). somebody told me with out Os support all cores are not work? is this right or not?
2.above applications (maya etc ) used all cors or not (Including real time work and also Rendering)?
thank you for your time and attention
prasad

Solution
Windows 7 64-bit will actually support 256 cores, according to Microsoft. Whether a particular application will use all those cores is something that you will have to investigate. But note that you can only have two physical processors, so your proposed system would not work.

Several 3D programs, Carrara is an example, allow the rendering process to be spread aver several machines meaning there is no real limit to the number of cores that could be dedicated to the task. Another possibility would be to write software that uses the processing power of GPUs to do the rendering work using something like NVidia's CUDA; I'm not aware that any commercial software does this.
Windows 7 64-bit will actually support 256 cores, according to Microsoft. Whether a particular application will use all those cores is something that you will have to investigate. But note that you can only have two physical processors, so your proposed system would not work.

Several 3D programs, Carrara is an example, allow the rendering process to be spread aver several machines meaning there is no real limit to the number of cores that could be dedicated to the task. Another possibility would be to write software that uses the processing power of GPUs to do the rendering work using something like NVidia's CUDA; I'm not aware that any commercial software does this.

Solution
Windows Ultimate and Enterprise only support 2 physical CPU chips per system, lesser editions like Professional support only 1 CPU chip (see: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/windows-7-product-editions-a-comparison.aspx). To use four CPU chips you need to go to Windows 2008 Server.

comseek

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Hi ijack ,
Thanks for your reply with detailed information with clear answer.
once again tanks for your time and attention
prasad