On-Board Sound Device Not Recognized

I've inherited a computer that is build around an Aopen Motherboard. The mb
has a Realtek Alc202a sound chip on it. Since the unit arrived, it has not
had any sound output and it will not play audio cd's.

Media Center says that no sound device is connected to the system. The
operating system is Windows XP Professional which I have brought up to SP2
level. I also have installed drivers from the Motherboard vendor and from
RealTek that are compliant with XP Pro.

The first thing that would have to happen is for the os to see the audio
"device." What can I do to solve this problem? I have seen some talk of
setting up the audio device manually for XP. If so, how do determine the
correct IRQ setting and the other settings for all the remaining parameters?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

Michael Carakatsane

All onboard devices can be turn on or off from the board's BIOS. If it is
turned off in the BIOS Windows is not going to find it.

Audio CDs still won't play unless the separate audio cable is installed.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Michael C" <Michael C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've inherited a computer that is build around an Aopen Motherboard. The
mb
> has a Realtek Alc202a sound chip on it. Since the unit arrived, it has
not
> had any sound output and it will not play audio cd's.
>
> Media Center says that no sound device is connected to the system. The
> operating system is Windows XP Professional which I have brought up to SP2
> level. I also have installed drivers from the Motherboard vendor and from
> RealTek that are compliant with XP Pro.
>
> The first thing that would have to happen is for the os to see the audio
> "device." What can I do to solve this problem? I have seen some talk of
> setting up the audio device manually for XP. If so, how do determine the
> correct IRQ setting and the other settings for all the remaining
parameters?

> Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.
>
> Michael Carakatsane

> Audio CDs still won't play unless the separate audio cable is installed.

Mine will play cda files with Windows Media Player 10 in either the DVDRom
or DVDRW drives. No digital or analogue audio cable connected to the
drives. Signal must be going through 40 pin connector and sent to the
soundcard. ATI CD Player 9.03 will produce no sound however (part of ATI
Multimedia Centre package).

r.

"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
> All onboard devices can be turn on or off from the board's BIOS. If it is
> turned off in the BIOS Windows is not going to find it.
>
> Audio CDs still won't play unless the separate audio cable is installed.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com
>

> "Michael C" <Michael C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've inherited a computer that is build around an Aopen Motherboard. The
> mb
>> has a Realtek Alc202a sound chip on it. Since the unit arrived, it has
> not
>> had any sound output and it will not play audio cd's.
>>
>> Media Center says that no sound device is connected to the system. The
>> operating system is Windows XP Professional which I have brought up to
>> SP2
>> level. I also have installed drivers from the Motherboard vendor and
>> from
>> RealTek that are compliant with XP Pro.
>>
>> The first thing that would have to happen is for the os to see the audio
>> "device." What can I do to solve this problem? I have seen some talk of
>> setting up the audio device manually for XP. If so, how do determine the
>> correct IRQ setting and the other settings for all the remaining
> parameters?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.
>>
>> Michael Carakatsane

Thanks EasyFeelings, Phillip and namniar

The Alc202a is not showing in Device Manager.

The Audio Device is enabled in the BIOS Setup. I have not enable Creative
Labs switch in the BIOS Setup.

The audio cable is in place from the CD-ROM drive to the Motherboard.

Hope this information helps to narrow the problem down.

With deep appreciation for your repleys.

Michael Carakatsane
Lynnfield, Massachusetts

"Michael C" wrote:

> I've inherited a computer that is build around an Aopen Motherboard. The mb
> has a Realtek Alc202a sound chip on it. Since the unit arrived, it has not
> had any sound output and it will not play audio cd's.
>
> Media Center says that no sound device is connected to the system. The
> operating system is Windows XP Professional which I have brought up to SP2
> level. I also have installed drivers from the Motherboard vendor and from
> RealTek that are compliant with XP Pro.
>
> The first thing that would have to happen is for the os to see the audio
> "device." What can I do to solve this problem? I have seen some talk of
> setting up the audio device manually for XP. If so, how do determine the
> correct IRQ setting and the other settings for all the remaining parameters?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.
>
> Michael Carakatsane

is it listed in the Device Manager?

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Are the motherboard chipset drivers install? You may need to have the
chipset drivers installed so that Windows can detect all the motherboard
components correctly.