Andrew

Hi there,

I have a question regarding a piece of hardware and it's USB speed.

The hardware says the following...
- USB 1.1 (USB Full-Speed) required
- Compatible with USB 2.0 (USB High-Speed)

Now does this mean that the device will work with my computer (which has
usb2 ports) at the usb2 speeds? Or that it will just work with my computer
that has usb2 ports and continue to use usb1.1 speeds? I haven't bought the
hardware yet, so I can't test the speeds myself.

Thanks,
Andrew

It's hard to say without you having state what the hardware was, but
generally, "USB 2.0 Compatible" means that it is a USB 2.0 device, ie;
it operates at USB 2.0 speeds.

However, I have seen devices that put this kind of statement on the
package and, if you read the small print, use it in a very misleading
way. In this method, they are pointing out the given fact that a USB
1.1 device will operate on a USB 2.0 hub. They put the statement on
the box to mislead the consumer into thinking it's a 2.0 device.

Frankly, if the wording is exactly how you printed it, I would suspect
that this is what's going on here and that the device is only 1.1.

But, can't really say without knowing what the device is (preferably,
the brand and model number, not just "HD" or "card reader").

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:33:22 -0400, "andrew" <noname@noname.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a question regarding a piece of hardware and it's USB speed.
>
>The hardware says the following...
>- USB 1.1 (USB Full-Speed) required
>- Compatible with USB 2.0 (USB High-Speed)
>
>Now does this mean that the device will work with my computer (which has
>usb2 ports) at the usb2 speeds? Or that it will just work with my computer
>that has usb2 ports and continue to use usb1.1 speeds? I haven't bought the
>hardware yet, so I can't test the speeds myself.
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

The hardware is an external soundcard/dj console.

The home page for the product is
http://us.hercules.com/products/showpage.php?p=87&b=0&f=1

The USB information I looked at was from this ebay auction...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=3780340584&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I did read a review at
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?page=4&articleid=342&cid=6 that
mentions that it is USB1.1, but it's from 2003 and I'm not sure if they
would have released a new revision of the hardware with USB2 speeds.

I'll try emailing the company to get more information.

Thanks,
Andrew

"andrew" <noname@noname.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a question regarding a piece of hardware and it's USB speed.
>
> The hardware says the following...
> - USB 1.1 (USB Full-Speed) required
> - Compatible with USB 2.0 (USB High-Speed)
>
> Now does this mean that the device will work with my computer (which has
> usb2 ports) at the usb2 speeds? Or that it will just work with my
> computer that has usb2 ports and continue to use usb1.1 speeds? I haven't
> bought the hardware yet, so I can't test the speeds myself.

Depends on the device entirely. In an ideal world, yes it should but I have
had a "thumb drive" (flash drive) which says, on the packaging, that it is
USB1.x and 2.x compatible but after testing it isn't USB1.x compatible at
all, no matter what you do.

What is the item? Is there any way you can test it before buying it? If not,
make sure if you buy it you can get your money back if it doesn't live up to
it's claims.