Closed

SD Secure Digital drive letter!!

Hello All,
Where do I go to change the drive letter on my SD card..
it is stuck on my "E" drive. and I don't see where I can do such.
it is not listed in the "Disk Management"

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks
ZK
8 answers Last reply
More about secure digital drive letter

    > Where do I go to change the drive letter on my SD card..
    > it is stuck on my "E" drive. and I don't see where I can do such.
    > it is not listed in the "Disk Management"

    From disk management, right-click on the "E" drive (your SD card), select
    "change drive letter".
    Rgds, Waldman

    Thought that is how we do this. But it is not listed in the "Disk
    Management"

    Thanks
    ZK

    "Zayd Khaial" <zkhaial@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thought that is how we do this. But it is not listed in the "Disk
    > Management"
    >
    > Thanks
    > ZK

    If you have other partitions/drives assigned with driveletters in XP,
    reassign these first with letters starting with the last letters of the
    alphabet (Z,Y,W and upwards) This way, when you reinsert your SDC in the
    slot, it will automatically be assigned with driveletter "E", and won't
    cause conflicts with the other driveletters.
    I found out that when you insert an external storage device to a PC, XP will
    always assign it E, regardless of the fact that you have already an E
    operating (ex. a external HD). So when you assign partitions/drives that you
    always use letters starting from Z, you won't have problems reassigning
    driveletters each time again and agein. I don't know why XP handles
    driveletters so stupidly.
  4. I do not know how to assign the SD card a high drive letter such as G: or Z:, but I can tell you how to get it unstuck from E:. Delete the device from the Device Manager and reboot.

    1) Right-click My Computer and choose Manage
    2) Select Device Manger
    3) Expand Disk Drives (make sure your SD card is inserted before you go to Device Manager)
    4) Left-click on SD Memory Card and choose Uninstall
    5) Reboot
  5. digilla said:
    I do not know how to assign the SD card a high drive letter such as G: or Z:, but I can tell you how to get it unstuck from E:. Delete the device from the Device Manager and reboot.

    1) Right-click My Computer and choose Manage
    2) Select Device Manger
    3) Expand Disk Drives (make sure your SD card is inserted before you go to Device Manager)
    4) Left-click on SD Memory Card and choose Uninstall
    5) Reboot

    I had a similar issue on my DELL Latitude 420 laptop. After the OS reinstallation, my former SD drive "H" became "F" as my common data on the network. The only solution was to disinstall the SD drive from control panel-System-hardware, assign all other letter from A to G to other disk or partition and then I reinstalled the SD drive that got back his good old "H" drive letter path.

    Zama
  6. Start, Run, Regedit.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Mounted Devices, Look for entry \DOSDevices\E: (or the drive letter u want to change). Right mouse click on \DosDevices\E: and choose rename and change the E: to the letter u want to use (ensure the letter is typed in Capitals).
    Close Regedit and Restart the computer
  7. "Close Regedit and Restart the computer" ... Even quicker if you don't want to reboot : Close Regedit, eject your SD Card et reinsert it. It should mount with the new letter ! (but you should reboot one day or another anyway :D )
  8. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Hardware Disk Management Microsoft Windows XP