Sony DW-22A DVD Burner(OEM)

Two questions regarding this burner:

1. Who makes it?

2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?

Roln
8 answers Last reply
More about sony burner

    Aren't (most?) Sony's made by Lite-On now?

    r.

    "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Two questions regarding this burner:
    >
    > 1. Who makes it?
    >
    > 2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?
    >
    > Roln

    Sony???

    "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Two questions regarding this burner:
    >
    > 1. Who makes it?
    >
    > 2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?
    >
    > Roln

    "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | Two questions regarding this burner:
    |
    | 1. Who makes it?
    |
    | 2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?
    |
    | Roln

    I don't know the answer to your first question. When you say "complete kit"
    I assume you mean the retail version? There might not be a directly
    analogous retail version. The reason you can't find anything on Sony's site
    is that it's an OEM drive, and Sony (as well as most others) will support
    only retail purchases. This means, among other things, that if there is a
    retail version of the same drive, and Sony updates the firmware, you'll be
    SOL because the firmware update will not work on the OEM version.

    "namniar" wrote:.
    > Aren't (most?) Sony's made by Lite-On now?

    You are probably right, but how would I find out for sure?
    The Sony web site doesn't support the model DW-22A.
    In fact, they don't know it exists!

    No, Sony does make this drive. The Sony web site doesn't acknowledge this
    model.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    > Sony???
    >
    >>> 1. Who makes it?
    >>
    >> 2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?
    >>
    >> Roln

    Did some surfing. The consensus is this unit is made by Lite-On for Sony.
    Based on the Lite-On 1633.
    Is very picky about the media you put in it (call tech support for
    compatible blank media - I recommend this for any drive as well).

    If you thinking of returning it check out the LG GSA-4163B
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12429&PageId=0

    I am very happy with a previous model the GSA-4120B and of course the newer
    model is now cheaper than what I bought the older model for. :)

    > "namniar" wrote:.
    >> Aren't (most?) Sony's made by Lite-On now?
    >>

    > You are probably right, but how would I find out for sure?
    > The Sony web site doesn't support the model DW-22A.
    > In fact, they don't know it exists!

    USA - Iowa

    >>>"Newtechie" wrote:
    You're welcome!

    Where do you live?

    Good morning Roln,

    You're not too far from me! I'm in northern IL. If you send me your
    mailing address, I'll send you a copy of the disc. In the meantime, you
    could use the trial version of Nero. I hope you can read between the lines
    here: my email is smileychgo at yahoo dot com. Put "Roln" in the subject
    line so I won't think it's spam.

    Newtechie

    > USA - Iowa

    > You're welcome!
    >
    > Where do you live?

Hardware Sony DVD Burner Microsoft OEM Windows XP