Autofire & Shooters

I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
yet to figure out) to do this?

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
> I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
> the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
> I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
> around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
> button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
> yet to figure out) to do this?

Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
the cheat.dat.

http://cheat.retrogames.com/

--
David
Thirteen at a table is unlucky only when the hostess has only twelve chops.

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message news:<hgd2g2xdgk.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>...
> * Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
> > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
> > the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
> > I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
> > around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
> > button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
> > yet to figure out) to do this?
>
> Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
> the cheat.dat.
>
> http://cheat.retrogames.com/

how can you have teh computer figure out when you want autofire and
when you want it to just be a button hold down?

what i would do is use a joystick gamepad with autofire switch and map
the button you want to your ipac and joystick button 1 that has
autofire turned on

i cant figure a way for a computer to read your mind that you want
hold button dow = autofire or hold button down = charge weapon

i guess you could practice to click the button rapidly arcade buttons
are just big enough to hit with 2 fingers alternating

Salvator Ruiz <spammenot@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters,
> but the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability
> that--if I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is
> there some way around this?

MAME Plus (which I use as well) allows you to independently assign auto-fire
to each button, as well as set a global auto-fire delay. So you could have
one button to fire normally (to include charging) and another, separate
button to fire the same weapon in auto.

The one thing I want to figure out in MAME Plus - and this may be pertinent
to your case as well - is how the Autofire "Toggle" feature works. You notice
how each autofire assignment goes Off/On/Toggle? I'm under the impression
that with Toggle, I can somehow switch between regular fire and auto-fire on
the fly, but I'm stumped as to how this actually works.

> Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button
> (and not the arcade button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom
> button function (which I've yet to figure out) to do this?

Not sure what this refers to.

Hung N <find@my.crack> wrote in

> Salvator Ruiz <spammenot@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in
>> shooters, but the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge
>> shot" ability that--if I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not
>> able to use. Is there some way around this?
>
> MAME Plus (which I use as well) allows you to independently assign
> auto-fire to each button, as well as set a global auto-fire delay. So
> you could have one button to fire normally (to include charging) and
> another, separate button to fire the same weapon in auto.

Doesn't work like that. Let's say, in the game, button 1 fires and button
2 drops the bomb. If you hold down button 1 you get a super powered shot.

If, in MAME, I assign both a and s to emulate button 1, when I set button
1 to autofire, they will both autofire the same way. I haven't found a
way of assigning autofire to a and not s, because it's assigned by what's
being emulated, and not what's activating it.

> The one thing I want to figure out in MAME Plus - and this may be
> pertinent to your case as well - is how the Autofire "Toggle" feature
> works. You notice how each autofire assignment goes Off/On/Toggle? I'm
> under the impression that with Toggle, I can somehow switch between
> regular fire and auto-fire on the fly, but I'm stumped as to how this
> actually works.

Oh! I never even noticed that ... lemme' mess around a bit.
OK, instead of configuring input (this game) go to input (general) and
scroll down, you'll find where you can set the toggle button for
autofire. So now, like, set that to q and set the autofire for button 1
(er, we'll stick with that being a) to toggle. Now, if you hit q it'll
turn off the autofire and a will function normally. Hit q again and a
will go to auto.

I ... guess that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

> Oh! I never even noticed that ... lemme' mess around a bit.
> OK, instead of configuring input (this game) go to input (general) and
> scroll down, you'll find where you can set the toggle button for
> autofire. So now, like, set that to q and set the autofire for button 1
> (er, we'll stick with that being a) to toggle. Now, if you hit q it'll
> turn off the autofire and a will function normally. Hit q again and a
> will go to auto.
>
> I ... guess that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

LOL!! Thanks for correcting me, and I'm glad you found your own solution to
the problem because along the way, I was able to solve a personal mystery.

Everybody's happy... La la la! :)

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* 2000man@wongfaye.com wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message news:<hgd2g2xdgk.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>...
>> * Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
>> > the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
>> > I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
>> > around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
>> > button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
>> > yet to figure out) to do this?

>> Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
>> the cheat.dat.

>> http://cheat.retrogames.com/

> how can you have teh computer figure out when you want autofire and
> when you want it to just be a button hold down?

Using a cheat you can turn auto rapid fire on and let the fire button be
the supercharged one. I did it once a long time ago when I was trying to
learn the cheat system. It was on a japanese space invaders clone.

--
David
A man's house is his hassle.