Autofire & Shooters

I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
yet to figure out) to do this?
6 answers Last reply
More about autofire shooters

    * Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
    > the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
    > I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
    > around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
    > button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
    > yet to figure out) to do this?

    Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
    the cheat.dat.

    http://cheat.retrogames.com/

    --
    David
    Thirteen at a table is unlucky only when the hostess has only twelve chops.

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message news:<hgd2g2xdgk.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>...
    > * Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
    > > the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
    > > I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
    > > around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
    > > button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
    > > yet to figure out) to do this?
    >
    > Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
    > the cheat.dat.
    >
    > http://cheat.retrogames.com/

    how can you have teh computer figure out when you want autofire and
    when you want it to just be a button hold down?

    what i would do is use a joystick gamepad with autofire switch and map
    the button you want to your ipac and joystick button 1 that has
    autofire turned on

    i cant figure a way for a computer to read your mind that you want
    hold button dow = autofire or hold button down = charge weapon

    i guess you could practice to click the button rapidly arcade buttons
    are just big enough to hit with 2 fingers alternating

    Salvator Ruiz <spammenot@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters,
    > but the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability
    > that--if I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is
    > there some way around this?

    MAME Plus (which I use as well) allows you to independently assign auto-fire
    to each button, as well as set a global auto-fire delay. So you could have
    one button to fire normally (to include charging) and another, separate
    button to fire the same weapon in auto.

    The one thing I want to figure out in MAME Plus - and this may be pertinent
    to your case as well - is how the Autofire "Toggle" feature works. You notice
    how each autofire assignment goes Off/On/Toggle? I'm under the impression
    that with Toggle, I can somehow switch between regular fire and auto-fire on
    the fly, but I'm stumped as to how this actually works.

    > Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button
    > (and not the arcade button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom
    > button function (which I've yet to figure out) to do this?

    Not sure what this refers to.

    Hung N <find@my.crack> wrote in

    > Salvator Ruiz <spammenot@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in
    >> shooters, but the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge
    >> shot" ability that--if I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not
    >> able to use. Is there some way around this?
    >
    > MAME Plus (which I use as well) allows you to independently assign
    > auto-fire to each button, as well as set a global auto-fire delay. So
    > you could have one button to fire normally (to include charging) and
    > another, separate button to fire the same weapon in auto.

    Doesn't work like that. Let's say, in the game, button 1 fires and button
    2 drops the bomb. If you hold down button 1 you get a super powered shot.

    If, in MAME, I assign both a and s to emulate button 1, when I set button
    1 to autofire, they will both autofire the same way. I haven't found a
    way of assigning autofire to a and not s, because it's assigned by what's
    being emulated, and not what's activating it.

    > The one thing I want to figure out in MAME Plus - and this may be
    > pertinent to your case as well - is how the Autofire "Toggle" feature
    > works. You notice how each autofire assignment goes Off/On/Toggle? I'm
    > under the impression that with Toggle, I can somehow switch between
    > regular fire and auto-fire on the fly, but I'm stumped as to how this
    > actually works.

    Oh! I never even noticed that ... lemme' mess around a bit.
    OK, instead of configuring input (this game) go to input (general) and
    scroll down, you'll find where you can set the toggle button for
    autofire. So now, like, set that to q and set the autofire for button 1
    (er, we'll stick with that being a) to toggle. Now, if you hit q it'll
    turn off the autofire and a will function normally. Hit q again and a
    will go to auto.

    I ... guess that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

    > Oh! I never even noticed that ... lemme' mess around a bit.
    > OK, instead of configuring input (this game) go to input (general) and
    > scroll down, you'll find where you can set the toggle button for
    > autofire. So now, like, set that to q and set the autofire for button 1
    > (er, we'll stick with that being a) to toggle. Now, if you hit q it'll
    > turn off the autofire and a will function normally. Hit q again and a
    > will go to auto.
    >
    > I ... guess that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

    LOL!! Thanks for correcting me, and I'm glad you found your own solution to
    the problem because along the way, I was able to solve a personal mystery.

    Everybody's happy... La la la! :-)

    * 2000man@wongfaye.com wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message news:<hgd2g2xdgk.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>...
    >> * Salvator Ruiz wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >> > I'm using Mame32 Plus 0.94u1. I like the autofire function in shooters, but
    >> > the problem is that a lot of shooters have a "charge shot" ability that--if
    >> > I have the fire button to autofire--I'm not able to use. Is there some way
    >> > around this? Maybe to set autofire to a keypad button (and not the arcade
    >> > button it's emulating?) Could I use the custom button function (which I've
    >> > yet to figure out) to do this?

    >> Check to see if the game in question has some other cheats enabled by
    >> the cheat.dat.

    >> http://cheat.retrogames.com/

    > how can you have teh computer figure out when you want autofire and
    > when you want it to just be a button hold down?

    Using a cheat you can turn auto rapid fire on and let the fire button be
    the supercharged one. I did it once a long time ago when I was trying to
    learn the cheat system. It was on a japanese space invaders clone.

    --
    David
    A man's house is his hassle.

Games Video Games