Core Centre on MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R

Hi,

Just built a system using this board (Bios v 1.8), with a SATA drive, all is
fine just a few niggles with Core Centre, does everyone else get these
glitches?

1. CPU temp sometimes reports from a cold boot as >50 C (obviously wrong)
and sometimes about 25 C (about right), this is supposed to be cured with
bios v1.8. The heatsink usually is barely warm when touched.

2. CPU fan runs at around 3000 rpm (max) until I enable cool'n quiet then
hit apply, then fan runs at around 2000 rpm, unless it erroneously reports
around 50C when it will run at around 3000 rpm.

3. NB (Northbridge?) fan obviously shows as 0 rpm as there isn't one! NB
temp shows N/A.

4. The Core Centre control panel keeps popping up, it's easily covered by
other windows but it not possible to see a clear desktop as it keeps
popping up, and it looks hideous! A mass of shading, textures, bevelling,
different fonts etc..

5. Vcore is shown in red and indicates 1.55 volts on the flip out panel.

I'd be interested to know if this is normal.

Thanks, Mike.
4
answers
Last reply
More about core centre fis2r

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:37:38 GMT, "spock"
    <mike.panchaud__nospam__@virgin.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just built a system using this board (Bios v 1.8), with a SATA drive, all is
    >fine just a few niggles with Core Centre, does everyone else get these
    >glitches?
    >
    >1. CPU temp sometimes reports from a cold boot as >50 C (obviously wrong)
    >and sometimes about 25 C (about right), this is supposed to be cured with
    >bios v1.8. The heatsink usually is barely warm when touched.

    Yep the new BOIS fixes that

    >2. CPU fan runs at around 3000 rpm (max) until I enable cool'n quiet then
    >hit apply, then fan runs at around 2000 rpm, unless it erroneously reports
    >around 50C when it will run at around 3000 rpm.

    That's what it's suppose to do isn't it ?
    Up date the BOIS and you won't have the erroneous temps

    >3. NB (Northbridge?) fan obviously shows as 0 rpm as there isn't one! NB
    >temp shows N/A.

    Maybe we should buy a NB fan LOL

    >4. The Core Centre control panel keeps popping up, it's easily covered by
    >other windows but it not possible to see a clear desktop as it keeps
    >popping up, and it looks hideous! A mass of shading, textures, bevelling,
    >different fonts etc..

    Just close it and use an icon if you want to open it although mine
    didn't do it wen I have it running (which is only if I want to test
    some OC'ing.)

    >5. Vcore is shown in red and indicates 1.55 volts on the flip out panel.

    Mine is different might want to check your BOIS setting.

    >I'd be interested to know if this is normal.
    >

    >Thanks, Mike.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:37:38 GMT, "spock"
    > <mike.panchaud__nospam__@virgin.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Just built a system using this board (Bios v 1.8), with a SATA drive, all
    is
    > >fine just a few niggles with Core Centre, does everyone else get these
    > >glitches?
    > >
    > >1. CPU temp sometimes reports from a cold boot as >50 C (obviously wrong)
    > >and sometimes about 25 C (about right), this is supposed to be cured with
    > >bios v1.8. The heatsink usually is barely warm when touched.
    > >
    > Yep the new BOIS fixes that
    >
    > >2. CPU fan runs at around 3000 rpm (max) until I enable cool'n quiet then
    > >hit apply, then fan runs at around 2000 rpm, unless it erroneously
    reports
    > >around 50C when it will run at around 3000 rpm.
    >
    > That's what it's suppose to do isn't it ?
    > Up date the BOIS and you won't have the erroneous temps
    > >
    > >3. NB (Northbridge?) fan obviously shows as 0 rpm as there isn't one! NB
    > >temp shows N/A.
    >
    > Maybe we should buy a NB fan LOL
    >

    > >4. The Core Centre control panel keeps popping up, it's easily covered by
    > >other windows but it not possible to see a clear desktop as it keeps
    > >popping up, and it looks hideous! A mass of shading, textures, bevelling,
    > >different fonts etc..
    >
    > Just close it and use an icon if you want to open it although mine
    > didn't do it wen I have it running (which is only if I want to test
    > some OC'ing.)
    > >
    > >5. Vcore is shown in red and indicates 1.55 volts on the flip out panel.
    >
    > Mine is different might want to check your BOIS setting.
    > >

    > >I'd be interested to know if this is normal.
    > >

    > >Thanks, Mike.

    Thanks for reply.
    According to live update I have the latest bios (1.8) and I still get the
    incorrect temperature occasionally.

    What should vcore be?

    Mike
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:05:24 GMT, "spock"
    <mike.panchaud__nospam__@virgin.net> wrote:

    >"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:37:38 GMT, "spock"
    >> <mike.panchaud__nospam__@virgin.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >Just built a system using this board (Bios v 1.8), with a SATA drive, all
    >is
    >> >fine just a few niggles with Core Centre, does everyone else get these
    >> >glitches?
    >> >
    >> >1. CPU temp sometimes reports from a cold boot as >50 C (obviously wrong)
    >> >and sometimes about 25 C (about right), this is supposed to be cured with
    >> >bios v1.8. The heatsink usually is barely warm when touched.
    >> >
    >> Yep the new BOIS fixes that
    >>
    >> >2. CPU fan runs at around 3000 rpm (max) until I enable cool'n quiet then
    >> >hit apply, then fan runs at around 2000 rpm, unless it erroneously
    >reports
    >> >around 50C when it will run at around 3000 rpm.
    >>
    >> That's what it's suppose to do isn't it ?
    >> Up date the BOIS and you won't have the erroneous temps
    >> >
    >> >3. NB (Northbridge?) fan obviously shows as 0 rpm as there isn't one! NB
    >> >temp shows N/A.
    >>
    >> Maybe we should buy a NB fan LOL
    >>

    >> >4. The Core Centre control panel keeps popping up, it's easily covered by
    >> >other windows but it not possible to see a clear desktop as it keeps
    >> >popping up, and it looks hideous! A mass of shading, textures, bevelling,
    >> >different fonts etc..
    >>
    >> Just close it and use an icon if you want to open it although mine
    >> didn't do it wen I have it running (which is only if I want to test
    >> some OC'ing.)
    >> >
    >> >5. Vcore is shown in red and indicates 1.55 volts on the flip out panel.
    >>
    >> Mine is different might want to check your BOIS setting.
    >> >

    >> >I'd be interested to know if this is normal.
    >> >

    >> >Thanks, Mike.
    >
    >Thanks for reply.
    >According to live update I have the latest bios (1.8) and I still get the
    >incorrect temperature occasionally.
    >
    >What should vcore be?

    Hell I don't know ;)
    I only use that thing to stress my system from time to time.
    I don't even have it running 99% of the time.

    My vcore is 1.49v hmm I have two vcore one is 1.49 and the other says
    +0.0%

    LOL my sys temp is -5c though so this whole thing is suspect,

    >Mike

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    spock wrote:
    > "bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:37:38 GMT, "spock"
    >><mike.panchaud__nospam__@virgin.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Just built a system using this board (Bios v 1.8), with a SATA drive, all
    >
    > is
    >
    >>>fine just a few niggles with Core Centre, does everyone else get these
    >>>glitches?
    >>>
    >>>1. CPU temp sometimes reports from a cold boot as >50 C (obviously wrong)
    >>>and sometimes about 25 C (about right), this is supposed to be cured with
    >>>bios v1.8. The heatsink usually is barely warm when touched.
    >>>

    >>Yep the new BOIS fixes that
    >>

    >>>2. CPU fan runs at around 3000 rpm (max) until I enable cool'n quiet then
    >>>hit apply, then fan runs at around 2000 rpm, unless it erroneously
    >
    > reports
    >
    >>>around 50C when it will run at around 3000 rpm.
    >>
    >>That's what it's suppose to do isn't it ?
    >>Up date the BOIS and you won't have the erroneous temps
    >>
    >>>3. NB (Northbridge?) fan obviously shows as 0 rpm as there isn't one! NB
    >>>temp shows N/A.
    >>
    >>Maybe we should buy a NB fan LOL
    >>

    >>>4. The Core Centre control panel keeps popping up, it's easily covered by
    >>>other windows but it not possible to see a clear desktop as it keeps
    >>>popping up, and it looks hideous! A mass of shading, textures, bevelling,
    >>>different fonts etc..
    >>
    >>Just close it and use an icon if you want to open it although mine
    >>didn't do it wen I have it running (which is only if I want to test
    >>some OC'ing.)
    >>
    >>>5. Vcore is shown in red and indicates 1.55 volts on the flip out panel.
    >>
    >>Mine is different might want to check your BOIS setting.
    >>

    >>>I'd be interested to know if this is normal.
    >>>

    >>>Thanks, Mike.
    >

    > Thanks for reply.
    > According to live update I have the latest bios (1.8) and I still get the
    > incorrect temperature occasionally.
    >
    > What should vcore be?
    >
    > Mike

    I am slightly overclocking (5%) and the vcore reading is 1.49 and the
    CPU temp is 35C. I don't know how accurate this is but if I restart and
    go into the BIOS and check the values are usually the same (and if not
    they are very close). Then I continue into Windows and check and the
    values still match up. I only run Core Center when I am curious what
    the values are.

    ken

MSI-Microstar Core Motherboards